Bug in Windows 8 Remote Desktop metro app freezes local system

For some reason, Windows 8 isn't available under my Connect login to report this bug.  Hopefully a Microsoft employee can pass this along.

I am a hard-core tech user, running the x64 RTM version of Windows 8 that was released to MSDN, and has all software updates.  Much of my work is performed remotely, so I spend a lot of time using the Remote Desktop metro app.

Both my laptop and desktop have been experiencing "freezes" of sorts.  My metro apps would continue to work no problem, but when I would toggle to my local desktop, I could not use my mouse to click anything in the desktop, including any applications open in the desktop.  Clicking anywhere in the desktop would generate a "beep", and whatever window had focus would lose focus (telling me that the focus was going somewhere else).  While I could not use my mouse, I was able to continue using keyboard shortcuts to work with desktop apps.  The only way to get use of my desktop back is to reboot or log out.

Because of the odd focus behavior, it was clear to me that there was a rogue application that was causing the issue.  This morning, I was determined to get to the bottom of what application was causing the issue.  While the issue was manifesting, I opened Task Manager using keyboard shortcuts, and one-by-one ended processes and tested.  It turns out that the culprit is the Remote Desktop metro app, published by Microsoft.  Killing that app restored my mouse access to my desktop.

This issue manifests identically on both my laptop and my desktop, both of which are running the same install of Windows 8 Pro RTM downloaded from MSDN.  On my laptop, I installed Windows 8 as an upgrade to Windows 7.  On my desktop, I installed Windows 8 as a clean install.

As much as this may be a bug in Remote Desktop, this is also a bug in Windows 8.  Windows 8 should not allow a Metro app to interfere with user interaction with the desktop.

Given that this issue can render the system virtually unusable, and would be very difficult for an end-user to diagnose, I feel that this bug should be given a high priority in resolution.

By the way guys, you have made it wayyyy too difficult to report bugs for Windows 8.  I can't report to Windows 8 under my Connect login, and there are no bug reporting forums in TechNet or MSDN.  I could report it through Support, but I would have to pony up $259 on my credit card just for the privilege. I spent at least as much time figuring out how to report this bug as I did actually diagnosing and documenting the bug... all of which I did as a favor to you guys by the way.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Rob

Since the Preview (beta) of Windows 8 was public, all of the Microsoft public forums, including Microsoft Answers, MSDN, and Technet have been monitored for bug reports by Microsoft employees.

So your post here is your bug report.

How do I provide feedback or file a bug for Windows 8 Release Preview - Microsoft Answers:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-windows_install/how-do-i-provide-feedback-or-file-a-bug-for/9ce2bd6c-5ec1-4086-a9bb-2f9c77aa231d

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much.

Further diagnostic information... 

If I have the Remote Desktop app open on my right monitor, and my desktop visible on my left monitor, the weirdest effect takes place.  Attempts to click my desktop on the left monitor are translated to the remote desktop application on my right monitor.  Clicking the taskbar on my desktop results in clicking the taskbar in the exact same location in the remote desktop app.  Closing a maximized app on my desktop closes the maximized app on the remote desktop.

Of course the desktop is not usable in this condition, but more importantly, inaccurate mouse clicks going to the remote desktop can result in lost data or data corruption.

Thanks, - Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this bug also.  I can still use the desktop on my right monitor, but everything on the left (main monitor) is frozen and no clicks can be made.  I can use the windows key + arrow key to bring an application to my right screen (second monitor) and use it that way.  Also, I found if I kill remote desktop using Task Manager then I get the use of my screen back.

I'm running Server 2012 RTM from technet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Remote desktop has been locking my desktop screen up the more I use it.  If I pull up the list of apps running, right click to close Remote Desktop then the desktop is not locked anymore.  The new metro interface still works just fine and the desktop is then only thing that seems to be affected.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue.

I also found that if I use split screen to snap the remote desktop app aside, I will be able to use local desktop. However, if I try to hide the remote destop app from split screen, and then click anywhere in local desktop, the system will automatically switch to remote desktop app.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft released an update to the Remote Desktop application a couple of days ago... but this issue has not been corrected.  The bug persists.

I knew you guys were planning a bunch of fixes to all the apps before Oct 26, and was really hoping that this was one of them.  Of all of the bugs that could have been fixed, this bug is most disruptive to my workflow.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same problem for months now, across my work and home systems. The bug doesn't always manifest and there doesn't seem to be anything triggering the stupid behaviour.

Please fix the problem ASAP as I use this app on a regular basis. The desktop RDP app isn't as good for touch input nor is it fun to use after the Metro version.

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem here with single display... Mouse and Keyboard remains on remote machine while display shows local machine...   Come on Microsoft..... really?

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
OS Version:                6.2.9200 N/A Build 9200

Sorry this didn't help.

Ronnie (or anyone from Microsoft), how is this coming along?  Have you guys been able to reproduce the bug?  Do you need more diagnostic info from us to help in reproducing it?

Thanks,

-Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

Ronnie, is Microsoft following up on this bug?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2013 Views 346 Applies to: