I have Windows 8 Customer Preview installed on a laptop that also has a Ubuntu 10.11 disto on a spearate partition. When booting, I no longer see an option to boot Ubuntu.

I have Windows 8 Customer Preview installed on a laptop that also has a Ubuntu 10.11 disto on a spearate partition. Prior to installing the Preview Edition, I had the Developers Preview installed. Since I had installed the Ubuntu distro after the Windows preview, Ubuntu created a dual boot menu where I could select between Windows and Ubuntu upon boot up.

Since I have installed the latest Win 8, I no longer have this option, which I fully expected.

I know that I can reinstall Ubuntu and get the dual boot (grub2 for the initiated) menu back, but I am wondering if there is any way that I can get the same ability from inside of Windows 8.

Anyone have an answer for this?

original title: Dual Boot to Ubunti Distro

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2013 Views 455 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I know that I can reinstall Ubuntu and get the dual boot (grub2 for the initiated) menu back, but I am wondering if there is any way that I can get the same ability from inside of Windows 8.

When you install Windows after Linux is already installed Windows will remove GRUB, which is used to boot most Linux distros.

You can use EasyBCD to edit the Windows boot menu, it allows you to edit boot entries, and add Linux to the Windows boot menu.

EasyBCD (use the free version):
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.