Access to External drive OK but cant change anything in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I can see, identify and access my Western Digital 1TB My Book USB Drive but cant add or delete or modify any files. It seems to be Read Only despite settings below.

The error message is "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this file"

I have set the UAC control slider to minimum, I have checked and  rechecked and set ownership to the Drive to Full Access Rights. I am obviously set as the administrator.

I have compared settings to my Windows 7 PC with the same drive. No problems at all in Windows 7.

I can do a work around by setting the registry UAC setting from 1 to 0 to disable the User Account Control and all is then  working well in Desktop mode after a reboot but in Metro all the Apps give a message they cant be opened with UAC disabled.

Is this going to be a feature of Windows 8 that External Hard Drives are Read Only , I would not hope  so as my Acronis 2013 backups will need to be there as I want a drive image not a "refresh" removing my third party programs as planned by Windows 8.

I cant see any other identical queries on the site. Is anyone else having this fairly important set back ?

This is very odd.

I have tried another External Hard Drive again a Western Digital earlier 250 GB one and it is working as normal without me setting any access rights or permissions with UAC on the bottom slider too.

Now I am completely lost for an explanation/

Plugged the other one in same original problem

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi TellboyUK,

have you tired creating a new profile and deleting that old one?

Or doing a fresh on the system?

Eddie b

The answer is in the details!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2013 Views 63 Applies to: