Windows 8 Professional RTM (Build 9200): Sometimes hangs when going to Desktop after start up

Hi,

The Windows 8 experience has so far been very, very good. I am amazed at how great the user experience is.

However, I have had one hiccup which is bothering me.

Sometimes, when starting up, my system is unable to go to Desktop without hanging.

It happens on and off; not every start up is problematic. However, for every start up attempt that fails, I notice that at the Start Screen:

1) The mouse pointer disappears, causing me to navigate the tiles with my arrow keys.
2) The live tiles refuse to update and remains static, even when I know the computer is/should be connected to the internet.
3) Upon navigating by arrow keys to the Desktop tile and hitting Enter, the system hangs irrecoverably with an incomplete desktop and taskbar.
4) Alt+tab works at the Start screen, but once alt+tabbed to a Desktop app, it hangs immediately.
5) Ctrl+alt+del works as well, but once Task Manager is launched, it hangs.
6) Launching one of the Windows Store apps also causes the system to hang.

It usually requires me to hard reboot two or more times before the problem goes away. Start up repair detects no problems.

Prior to that, I had to reinstall the drivers for my NVIDIA GTX 560Ti graphics card as the drivers were not compatible with 8. Although I think that this is not a related problem, I hope that the hanging issue is not caused by an incompatible start up program.

Please do help me with my problem. I will give further information upon request, but for now I will state that my system is:

- Microsoft Windows 8 Professional RTM (Build 9200) 64-bit
- CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 mHz 4GB (x4)
- GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk
- Hard drive: ADATA S511 120 GB SSD (x2, RAID 0)

Thank you!
Answer
Answer
Hello OPtakeover,

Are you still experiencing the issue with SidebySide errors for Western Digital SmartWare?
Did you uninstall the software?

Please reply back with an update on your status.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2013 Views 376 Applies to: