Multitasking in Windows 8 Metro, playing videos in the background.

I am exploring Windows 8 Release Preview and find it quite interesting and should appreciate Microsoft's gamble.
The app snap feature and apps entering into suspended mode, is good.
I was viewing a youtube video, it was just an audio, and so wanted to open some other app, and switched to it (ALT+TAB), hoping
that the audio would play in the background, but it stopped and started playing again only when I switched to IE metro app again.
With this same thing tried on desktop mode, it worked as expected, even when I opened the youtube video in the desktop mode
and switched to a metro app, why is this not incorporated in the Metro mode, why should Windows multitasking be any different
given I am on the x64 architecture. I can understand any shortcomings on an ARM architecture, but on x86/x64, multitasking should be much flexible and
be on par with current Windows desktop experience.
I am sure this feature of audio and video playing in the background can be achieved by writing dedicated apps using background tasks,
but shouldn't this feature be available natively in metro mode like in the desktop mode.
I am not able to hear to songs from youtube in the background.

Answer
Answer
The Metro environment is designed to be consistent across platforms. Metro will not play a video in the background. Like smartphones and tablets though, there will be apps made to make YouTube play in the background as audio.
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2013 Views 204 Applies to: