I'm running Windows 8 on Intel Atom processor and it uses max 66% of my CPU Speed.

Original title : Windows 8 only uses max 66% of my CPU Speed

Hi, I have a problem currently with Windows 8. Now my computer runs on a Intel Atom N550 Dual Core 1.5GHz, however, Windows 8 runs at only maximum 66% of the 1.5Ghz, which is equivalent to 1GHz of Processor Speed. And also, third party applications such as Smart RAM detect CPU Usage at 100%, which is 100% of 1GHz, but Windows Task Manager shows 66% of 1.5GHz is used.

So I am seeking help with anyone out there with clues on how to solve this problem on my computer. Currently the Power Plan is set to High Performance, and in the advanced setting of this plan, the max processor percentage is also set to 100%. Thus I really seek your help.

Hi SoftwareHome,
We need to have processor which supports Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2).
You may refer the features of processor to check if the processor meets the hardware requirements for Windows 8 Release Preview.
For more information, I would suggest you to check section “What are the system requirements for Windows 8 Release Preview?” from the article below. The article also contains various frequently asked questions about Windows 8 Release Preview.
Windows 8 Release Preview : Frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq
As a workaround, let’s try to uninstall Smart RAM detect to see if this is causing any conflicts.
a. Press Windows Key and R Key to open Run.
b. Type appwiz.cpl and press OK.
c. Right click the application and select Uninstall.
If the issue exists, you may reply and I’d be happy to provide you with available options to resolve the issue.
Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I really thank you for your advice, but after some research, I realised it's the probem with the manufacturer's software.

Thats because Windows 8 wouldn't start the power management software at startup( I Still Don't Know Why) and hence the computer assumes it is in power saving mode which limits the processor to 1Ghz. Since that's the case, I had to constantly change it to High Performance and restart the computer in order to run it at 1.5Ghz.

So Thanks for your help anyway, and if you don't mind, could you enlighten me on why does Windows 8 not start a software that is in the Startup List in the Registry and folder? The software requires administrative rights to run

Sorry this didn't help.

i had this problem too , my windows 8  rtm utilized only 1gb of my 2.13 core i3 cpu even during the pc assessment test. i tired to change high performance mode in power saving but it doesnt work

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AmirAhmady,
We’re not sure about the exact issue you’re facing, to clarify let me ask you couple of questions:
  • What is the make and model of the computer?
  • Are you referring to RAM, when you say the computer utilizes only 1 GB?
  • What happens when you change the performance mode?
  • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  • Are you facing any issues with computer's performance?

Reply to assist you further on this issue.
Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

it is hp probook 4420s , and I am refering to the cpu , I am sure its software problem and i have it since clean install of windows 8 , I fix with with this software http://release.crystaldew.info/CrystalCPUIDx64
i put it in startup to change my cpu multiplier to maxmimum number ,
after that my cpu score in windows assesment goes up from 4.3 to 6.6 and my performance got better,

I think its a software conflict with intel Speedstep in old cpu like mine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2013 Views 2,122 Applies to: