How much ram will windows 8 recognize

I have recently upgraded a weak PC with a RAM increase I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 I bought for 35$ that was virtually unusable with the 256mb of ram it came with however after increasing it to 1GB it actually runs good enough to serve as a media renderer and recipe reference guide in our kitchen. This has got me investigating RAM upgrades on some of my other computers. I have an Asus Essentio 5290 that came with 9GB of RAM that is in my Basement it is connected to a quad monitor desk setup with an additional 50 inch TV hooked up across the room. I just read that it will support 24GB of RAM max but I saw some things that said Windows 7 only supports 16GB of RAM. I am currently running the computer in dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 8 RP but since the Windows 8 multiple monitor features blow away the Windows 7 features I haven't used Windows 7 in a pretty long time on this computer. What I want to know is if I increase the RAM to 24Gb will it all be usable and what would I need 24Gb of RAM for anyway   
Answer
Answer

See http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-secrets-book-guide-product-editions-144067 for capabilities of each edition.

4GB for 32 bit Win8, 512GB for 64-bit for Win8 Pro

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2015 Views 1,038 Applies to: