After installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I noticed that my internet bandwidth splits between a download and my internet browser, instead of focusing all speed on the download.

After installing the Consumer Preview, I noticed something, when I download something with a browser, my bandwidth splits, half goes to the download and the other half goes to the browser, this is really annoying, and I wanted to know if there is any way to change this like it used to be (all of the bandwidth goes to the download unless the browser is being used). It's not a problem of my ISP or my bandwidth, since when I download something with something else than a browser, like a Game Launcher, the download speed is double the amount of the download speed using browsers.
original title: about download speed

Edit: I reinstalled Windows 7, but this happened again, guess it's not a W8:CP problem, but anyway, can anyone help me? Tried with different browsers, but the same thing keeps happening.
 Hello,

Method 1: Boot the computer in safe mode with networking and see if the issue persists.
a: Right click at the bottom left of the desktop and select Run.
b
: Type msconfig and hit enter.
c: Now click the boot tab.
d: Place a check mark on the safe boot option and select the network option
e: Click apply and then ok.

Method 2: Temporarily disable the anti-virus software and see if it helps.
a: Press Windows logo + Q to open the search box.
b: Now click Settings and then type Action center, hit enter.
c: Click the Chevron next to security.
d: Turn off the Anti-virus installed on the computer.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Duct.Taped.Goat says :]>

You're experiencing issues with QoS. This is not only a stock "ON" setting since Microsoft Windows operating systems' inception, but it is also generally a stock "ON" setting with your router.

BUT : Don't forget, you can only download as fast as the server uploads to you. I could be paying hundreds of dollars a month for a 300mbps service, but I will only be able to download as fast as the server will give it to me, and generally game servers are very high output rate to you. I suggest using http://www.speedtest.net to test your speeds before and after.

On to the stuffs.

I.A:]> MODIFYING YOUR ROUTER/MODEM SETTINGS

Check your router by going to (generally unless changed by yourself) http://192.168.0.1 and locating the QoS and disable it, it will be so simple as selecting a check box. It is also sometimes referred to as "Gaming Mode" or something similar in many routers.

As well, you will need to disable it in your Operating System, and I will list a few different ways.

II.A:]> DISABLING QoS VIA NETWORK ADAPTER PROPERTIES

Go to network connections, right click the network adapter, select properties, and deselect the "QoS Packet Scheduler".

II.B:]> DISABLING QoS VIA GROUP POLICY EDITOR

Alternatively, you can type GPEDIT.MSC in the search bar to get to the Group Policy Editor and going down the tree go to computer configuration, administrative templates, network, QoS packet scheduler. Double click "limit reservable bandwidth", select "enable", and now set the percentile amount below to zero percent (0%). Simply setting this to "disable" will cause it to use the default 20%, so you must enable and set to zero as I mentioned above.

II.C.i:]> REGISTRY MODIFICATION DISCLAIMER

The following solutions involve modifying the registry. Please regard the underlined notice below before making any changes.

If you are worried about making changes to the registry, select "FILE" and then "EXPORT" when you are in the Registry Editor, and place it on an external thumb drive or something similar. The saved registry will be of the .REG extension, and I suggest you save it as the operating system and/or model number of the computer along with the date in the file name so it doesn't get lost. To restore it in the event of any issues (which you shouldn't have) just open the .REG file you just made and it will restore your registry to where it was before you fiddled with it. DON'T FIDDLE WITH WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW. Always use Google to investigate any changes suggested to you by anybody online or in person to verify their validity, and what the changed values and/or added keys will result in. By continuing, you realize that I done did told ya and it's not my fault if you don't read this and the entirety of everything else below.

II.C.ii.a]> USING REGISTRY EDITOR [REGEDIT.EXE] TO MODIFY THE REGISTRY ENTRY

You can also manually open the registry by typing REGEDIT into the search bar, or by going to the physical location at root:\\windows\system32\REGEDIT.exe. When you are there, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Policies, then Microsoft, then Windows. Right click in the white area if there is not a Psched key and select "NEW" then "KEY", and then enter it. If it is there already, just select Psched. Now that you are in, select with a right click a white area and select "NEW" then "DWORD (32-bit) Value", and now name it NonBestEffortLimit. Leave the value alone at 0x00000000 (0) because you are done. Close out and you're good.

II.C.ii.b:]> MAKING A REGISTRY ENTRY FILE WITH NOTEPAD.EXE TEXT EDITOR

Again, you can also do it this way with notepad. Select which method works for you. In Windows 8, the start button option doesn't work for opening notepad, so you can use methods II.C.ii.b.2]>, II.C.ii.c.3]>, or II.C.ii.d.4]>. After you complete either of these four methods, continue to section II.C.iii]>.

II.C.ii.b.1]> OPENING NOTEPAD WITH START MENU

Click "START", "ALL PROGRAMS", "ACCESSORIES", then "NOTEPAD".

II.C.ii.b.2]> OPENING NOTEPAD WITH EXPLORER.EXE SHELL

Notepad is physically located at [root:\\windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE].

II.C.ii.b.3]> OPENING NOTEPAD WITH SEARCH BAR

You can also locate it by typing "NOTEPAD" into the search bar, and waiting for it to be found and then opening it.

II.C.ii.b.4]> OPENING NOTEPAD FROM THE DESKTOP

As well, you can also open "COMPUTER" or any other folder, select "TOOLS" from the title bar, then "FOLDER OPTIONS" select the "VIEW" tab, and deselect "HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN TYPES", and click "OK". Now you can right click the desktop and select "NEW TEXT DOCUMENT". Name your document "dsablQoS.REG", ensuring you removed the old .TXT extension and changed it to a Registry Entry file type. Click "YES" when prompted. Right click the Registry Entry you just made, and select "EDIT" and you will be in notepad ready to make your registry entry.

II.C.ii.c]> CREATING THE REGISTRY ENTRY

Copy and paste everything below that is emboldened and italicized below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]

"NonBestEffortLimit"=dword:00000000

Now that you have pasted this, go to your Save As menu, change the file type to "All Files" in the drop down, and save the document as ending with a ".REG" (no quotes) extension. I suggest you name the file "dsablQoS.REG" and either save it to a thumb drive/diskette and/or put it on the desktop.

Now, run the .REG file either by double clicking it or right clicking and selecting "MERGE", "YES", and then "YES" again, and you will have made the change without actually entering the registry.

Hit okay. You're done. Get back to your downloads.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2013 Views 92 Applies to: