Windows 8 Audio Driver - Can't Update

In Windows 8 Consumer Preview (latest, not developers preview), my audio sound card driver was detected and the Windows online data base downloaded and installed the drivers for the card - Version 6.0.1.1373 dated 6/3/2009 for my Creative X-Fi Music Extreme audio card.

Problem is that Creative has a more recent driver that will function without the current audio distortion (crackling noice) that I'm experiencing now. I know there's nothing wrong with the card becasue I have Windows XP on one drive and Windows 7 on another drive, without any sound issues whatsoever. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is on its own physial hard drive.

What happens is that I install the new driver from Creative, but the currenlty installed 6.0.1.1373 driver version stays installed. I can't seem to replace that driver once it installs It wil add the other features that come with the the update install pack and the new driver's installer will say "Successfully Installed- Reboot to Finish" when finished, but the driver just won't be replaced by the new updated version. If I select Uninstall, from Device Manager, it will uninstall, but when I try to install the driver from Creative it comes back saying that there's no hardware found. It only finds the hardware if the version 6.0.1.1373 version is in place.

It almost seems as if the system is protecting itself and won't let you change this driver. I also tried other compatible drivers and the same thing happnens. I even tried to use compatibiliy mode, but that didn't seem to work either. There must be some secuity setting in Windows 8 preventing the update of this driver.

Ideas and Fixes Welcomed!

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2013 Views 257 Applies to:

In Windows 8 Consumer Preview (latest, not developers preview), my audio sound card driver was detected and the Windows online data base downloaded and installed the drivers for the card - Version 6.0.1.1373 dated 6/3/2009 for my Creative X-Fi Music Extreme audio card.

Problem is that Creative has a more recent driver that will function without the current audio distortion (crackling noice) that I'm experiencing now. I know there's nothing wrong with the card becasue I have Windows XP on one drive and Windows 7 on another drive, without any sound issues whatsoever. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is on its own physial hard drive.

What happens is that I install the new driver from Creative, but the currenlty installed 6.0.1.1373 driver version stays installed. I can't seem to replace that driver once it installs It wil add the other features that come with the the update install pack and the new driver's installer will say "Successfully Installed- Reboot to Finish" when finished, but the driver just won't be replaced by the new updated version. If I select Uninstall, from Device Manager, it will uninstall, but when I try to install the driver from Creative it comes back saying that there's no hardware found. It only finds the hardware if the version 6.0.1.1373 version is in place.

It almost seems as if the system is protecting itself and won't let you change this driver. I also tried other compatible drivers and the same thing happnens. I even tried to use compatibiliy mode, but that didn't seem to work either. There must be some secuity setting in Windows 8 preventing the update of this driver.

Consumer Preview is not the latest - it was the one right after Developer's Preview but before Release Preview.  So do you have Release Preview?

Also - you are less than 30 days from being able to get the fully released Windows 8...

Does Creative offer Windows 8 drivers or are these Windows 7 drivers you are 'attempting to make work'?  Can you give a web link to the drivers you are trying to use?

I would make sure of which Windows 8 Preview release you are running.  I would weigh whether or not this struggle is worth it dependent on your findings there and the fact the full version was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012 and will be public in mid-October.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Consumer Preview is not the latest - it was the one right after Developer's Preview but before Release Preview.  So do you have Release Preview?

Also - you are less than 30 days from being able to get the fully released Windows 8...

Does Creative offer Windows 8 drivers or are these Windows 7 drivers you are 'attempting to make work'?  Can you give a web link to the drivers you are trying to use?

I would make sure of which Windows 8 Preview release you are running.  I would weigh whether or not this struggle is worth it dependent on your findings there and the fact the full version was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012 and will be public in mid-October.

Hi Shenan,

Yes I made a mistake, I do have the latest  - Release Preview I believe I selected that from the drop down after I had already typed the begining of the thread indicating Consumer Preview.

Yes I know Windows 8 has RTM and will be announced on October 25th midnight in NYC Kickoff for General Availability.

I'm at work now and will have to check your other questions when I get home later. You're right about the struggle, it's just that without sound, the next worse thing would be without video, ha! ha! You can't check music, movies, media player, Media Center, TV tuner, etc. - how any of that works. You can't load Media Center TV without audio working properly, so it's integral.

What I don't understand is why can't that driver be changed. On Windows 7, if I wanted to install an earlier version of a beta version of a Creative driver I can. Whether it would work or not, that's another story, ha! ha! With this version of Windows 8, I can't change that driver.

The Windows Update tool points me to the Creative Site - Click here. Then the driver begins to load from Creative. I'll get the details and post back.

The other odd thing is that it appears that the Windows Troubleshooter is the one that finds this driver because although Windows finds a Multimedia device in device Manager (yellow exclamation mark), when you click to find or install a driver it comes back saying no driver was found after it scans the data base. Normally you can tell it that you have the disk or file and  install, but even if you try that, it won't saying that it can't find the device. So there is certainly something peculiar - Imagine if it was the same on the RTM build?

It appears that video and audio drivers are one of the more challenging issues to resolve when they don't work as expected!

Xbox One X
Xbox One
Xbox 360
Band 2
Zune 120
Zune HD 64 GB
Kinnect Beta Tester
Surface Pro 1
Surface Pro 3
Harman Kardon INVOKE

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.