Sonicwall Global VPN client connection error

So far, I'm totally disappointed by this update.  I've felt like the last two years, I was the ONLY one on the planet praising M$ and where they were going as I could see the road map which I loved.  The ONLY company I'd through it all away to be a part of that.  However, it was ALWAYS a apologetic approach because we could always expect execution issues with the lack of business unit integration.  Hodgepodge at best was my expectation, but I was optimistic as it looked like they were aware.

Still a supporter, but COME ON!!
Windows 8.1, so far.  Xbox media center DOWN.
Sonicwall Global VPN DOWN.

What else has not been QA'd?  Sure, I shouldn't expect a "preview" to be 100%.  But your disclaimer should say, ".. it is highly likely you're going to loose days to weeks before you're back to where you started from.  BEFORE you put on 8.1".

So far I've tried two things with 8.1. Listed here.  Can't wait to go deeper!!

C
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

SonicWall has just released a new version of the Global VPN Client that is compatible with Windows 8.1.

The version is 4.8.6.0826. This was released on 10-1-2013 It is an Early Release version. Which means it is not Beta and they expect it to be the final version barring any issues. It is stable for me so far. I am running it on Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM x64.

I was using the built in VPN client and it worked except the disconnects and no auto-reconnect.

I had been using the previous GVPN clients for years on all versions of Windows prior to 8.1. I knew it would be just a matter of time before they released an updated version. I have to say since Dell bought them they seem to have a much faster turn-around for updates and fixes.

Using this with a SonicWall NSA 3500 special Firmware version. It should work just fine with the release versions of the firmware as well.

I found this version after careful searching. I installed it without issue. When I connected to my company VNP for the first time, after about 5 seconds my computer froze up. Another 5-10 seconds and I received a BSD.

The previous version let me go on for a little while before the BSD, it was only when I was accessing resources over the  VPN that I would BSC. At least that was the pattern I was noticing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Their latest version still breaks the networking on my Surface Pro...

In device manager the SW Virtual Nic shows issues, and I now have several Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport adapters listed.

The Virtual Nic reports that Windows cannot start the hardware because it's configuration info in the registry is incomplete or damaged (code 19)

Meanwhile my networking is broke with a limited status....Both wifi and a USB ethernet dongle will do nothing...

I cannot remove any of the DNE's nor can I delete the SW virtual NIC

Ive tried SW's cleanup utility with no luck.... I've tried cleaning up the registry of anything that pertains to the GVPNC...

The only way I've found to get the network to work again, is to disable every device under network adapters... Restart, and only enable the Surface's primary wireless adapter....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My GVC (GVCSetup64_4.7.3.0403_EN) worked fine after the 8.1 install (i'm on enterprise.. no upgrade for me - iso load)

After a couple of weeks, i came to work and rebooted and it didn't work anymore.

After uninstalling, trying the netextender, using Sonicwalls clearing utility, and trying a few compatibility modes.. still no luck. It just wouldn't find an adapter with the right MAC address to enable and connect thru.

That's when i noticed a new "unknown device" in device manager.
On a lark, i installed the sonicwall NIC drivers (the INF is located in the install directory of your GVC, the driver i chose was already in the network device section of the drivers list) and then i was able to connect again. I now have two Sonicwall NICs in device manager. And i believe i left the two EXE's in the Sonicwall installation directory in compatibility mode for vista sp2.

I hope this helps someone. If this helps you, please feel free to post it on the myriad of other Forums about this issue.

Cameron R.
Systems Admin
Advanced Computer Technology
Las Vegas, Nevada

This actually worked for me.

Surface (not RT) with Windows 8.1 Preview.

I was running into the same issue where "[IP] requires use of SonicWALL Virtual Adapter...etc" and couldn't figure it out.

I first tried setting both exes (SWGVC.exe) and (SWGVCSvc.exe) to a new compatibility mode, but that didn't work.

Then I just tried manually adding a new SonicWALL Virtual NIC in Control Panel > Device Manager. I did it through "Add legacy hardware" option, then told it I'll manually install it. The wizard recognizes the SonicWALL drivers, so it becomes pretty straightforward from there.

Once complete, it shows as a second SonicWALL connection in the Network Adapters section.

Restarted the SonicWALL client and tried to connect and no issues. Hopefully this helps someone else. Thanks Cameron!

Colin

Good call.... This did work for me.... Thanks so much!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you had the older version installed make sure you completely uninstall the old version. You should not see any deterministic network adapters in Device Manager under Network Adapters.

After the new version is installed I only see SonicWall Virtual NIC in addition to the normal network connections on my computer.

This may help you resolve the issue:

Uninstall the new version (4.8.6) and then reinstall the old one (4.7.3) restart, and then uninstall it again, restarting each time. After you uninstall the old version, run the cleanup tool. Keep in mind the cleanup tool only works for the version it was designed for. Most likely the old version.

Once you have confirmed that all networking works normally then install the new version again.

The following ONLY APPLIES to users with Hyper-V enabled on Windows 8.x Pro/Ent.

Keep in mind if you use the built in Hyper-V Virtual Network adapter you may need to reset a few things. On your physical adapter make sure everything is disabled except the Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch. On the Virtual Switch and SonicWall Virtual NIC adapter enable all of the protocols you need and make sure the Hyper-V switch is disabled for these.

The new GVPN client has been rock solid for me so far. My machine has been completely trouble free. No BSOD's, restarts or any weird issues.

I'm running this on Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM Version 6.3 (Build 9600) 64 bit.

Download the VPN Client here: https://www.mysonicwall.com/Firmware/FreeDownloads.aspx An account is required to login.

I hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My GVC (GVCSetup64_4.7.3.0403_EN) worked fine after the 8.1 install (i'm on enterprise.. no upgrade for me - iso load)

After a couple of weeks, i came to work and rebooted and it didn't work anymore.

After uninstalling, trying the netextender, using Sonicwalls clearing utility, and trying a few compatibility modes.. still no luck. It just wouldn't find an adapter with the right MAC address to enable and connect thru.

That's when i noticed a new "unknown device" in device manager.
On a lark, i installed the sonicwall NIC drivers (the INF is located in the install directory of your GVC, the driver i chose was already in the network device section of the drivers list) and then i was able to connect again. I now have two Sonicwall NICs in device manager. And i believe i left the two EXE's in the Sonicwall installation directory in compatibility mode for vista sp2.

I hope this helps someone. If this helps you, please feel free to post it on the myriad of other Forums about this issue.

Cameron R.
Systems Admin
Advanced Computer Technology
Las Vegas, Nevada

This actually worked for me.

Surface (not RT) with Windows 8.1 Preview.

I was running into the same issue where "[IP] requires use of SonicWALL Virtual Adapter...etc" and couldn't figure it out.

I first tried setting both exes (SWGVC.exe) and (SWGVCSvc.exe) to a new compatibility mode, but that didn't work.

Then I just tried manually adding a new SonicWALL Virtual NIC in Control Panel > Device Manager. I did it through "Add legacy hardware" option, then told it I'll manually install it. The wizard recognizes the SonicWALL drivers, so it becomes pretty straightforward from there.

Once complete, it shows as a second SonicWALL connection in the Network Adapters section.

Restarted the SonicWALL client and tried to connect and no issues. Hopefully this helps someone else. Thanks Cameron!

Colin

Good call.... This did work for me.... Thanks so much!!!!

Awesome, this actually worked for me too... Bizarre!

So here's what I did.

In the Device Manager, I saw that the "SonicWall Virtual NIC" was already there.

I simply went up to the top of the tree, right clicked -> Add Legacy Hardware.

Chose the Manual install method (Advanced)

Selected "Network Adapters"

Chose SonicWall, SoniceWall Virtual NIC

Once installed, I have a "Sonic Wall Virtual NIC #2" in my device manager.

Once that was there, I was able to use the Global VPN Client.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Note:  No version, including the latest pre-release version (4.8.6.0826) of the Sonicwall Global VPN Client will work on a MS Surface Pro running Windows 8.1.  You *might* get it to work once - right after you install it, but upon reboot you will find that your WiFi access will be limited (read that as NO access) and the GVPN Client will be useless.  Uninstalling the the GVPN Client will restore your Wifi access.  The built-in Sonicwall VPN that is native to Windows 8 only works if you have your Sonicwall configured to use SSL certificates.  If you use a pre-shared key (PSK) with your Sonicwall, you are out of luck.  Many Windows, Sonicwall, Surface, and other tech forums, are registering many Windows 8.1/Sonicwall GVPN client issues.  Some people report that they were able to get it to work with varying degrees of success by tweaking a myriad of network adapter settings, registry settings, and NIC properties - but no one (to my knowledge) has been able to get it to work on a Microsoft Surface running Windows 8.1.  Thus far there has been no response from the Windows group, the Surface group, nor Sonicwall.  If anyone has been able to get the Sonicwall GVPN Client (using a PSK) to run on the Surface Pro/Windows 8.1 on a consistent basis WITHOUT losing any other functionality, I would greatly appreciate you sharing your method/knowledge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't confirm on a Surface Pro or Pro 2 yet. I will update here when I get my Pro 2.

I have been using the GVPN 4.8.6 nonstop every day and all day, sometimes for several days on end and I have not had a single issue. Now I'm anxious to get my Surface Pro 2 so I can test this.

I am using a SonicWall NSA 3500 with PSK.

The Built-in VPN worked with the L2TP Server mode of the SonicWall. I don't think I was able to get it to work with the PSK mode. Luckily I have multiple modes enabled so I can use whichever I need to use in order to connect.

Do you control your SonicWall or is the configuration managed by your admin? It may be a configuration issue on the SonicWall. I know that if certain settings are changed some users cannot connect anymore. It is very finicky. I manage ours and can post specific settings if that will help. Our current settings allow us to connect from iPhone/iPad, Android, Windows 8.1 and GVPN.

Are you using Hyper-V on your local machine?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There were no configuration changes to the Sonicwall device.  Surface Pro/Windows 8/GVPN Client 4.7.3 worked great.  No other device/OS configuration (at work) is having any issues connecting using various versions of the GVPN.  It is obvious that Windows 8.1 made changes that Sonicwall thought they addressed with GVPN 4.8.6.0826.  As far as the Surface Pro is concerned, this is not the case -- and if the forums are any indication, this is not the case with other device/Windows 8.1 configurations as well.  I too am curious if you can get it to work on your new SP 2.  No, I am not using Hyper-V on my Surface Pro.  Thank you for your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, my VPN has been working fine since I installed the SonicWall Virtual Adapter as a legacy device.

I picked up a Surface Pro 2 yesterday, so I'm going to try and repeat this setup to see if it works on the 2. My boss also followed the same steps to setup the legacy device and it also has worked for him.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What version of the Sonicwall GVPN client are you using?  Are you using a Pre-Shared Key, or SSLVPN?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 9,010 Applies to: