Radeon 3200 driver not working with Windows 8 Release Preview

I've been using Release Preview and Consumer Preview.

In consumer preview I had a driver from November/December 2011 installed for my ATI Radeon HD 3200 and it was working perfectly.

Then windows updated my drivers released on march if I remember correctly this year. However the new driver was giving me graphical glitches and things. I had to revert to the old driver.

After I reinstalled to release preview I had the new driver installed and I could not revert to the old one again. Because of that I get graphical glitches and distorted models/images when gaming (does it on every 3D game I know).

I've tried installing older windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode, but it did not work. I've also read that if I uninstall everything from ATI/AMD it should work, it did not for me. I've searched the internet for 2 days now, I've found various modified drivers, but they couldn't install.

Only driver I've been able to install, that is not from Microsoft, is the newest windows 7 driver on the ATI website, but I have the same problem. I did try installing them by going to Device Manager and then "Install driver by selecting files and folders" or something option.

Thank you for reading.

SPECS:

(You can search on google for Asus x50z Specs)

Ati/Amd Radeon mobility HD 3200

Amd Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-62

4 GB Ram

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2013 Views 447 Applies to:

Hi Zelin,

·         Have you uninstalled the graphics card completely from Device Manager?

I see that you have already tried most of the troubleshooting. Let`s now try to uninstall the Graphics card completely and install available drivers in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

To do so, let`s try the following.

Step 1: Download and save the latest drivers from the manufacturer`s website.

Step 2: Uninstall and reinstall the Display adapter from Device Manager.

a)       Move the mouse to bottom left corner and right-click on the Start Icon.

b)       Select Device Manager.

c)       Right-click on Display Adapter and select Uninstall.

d)       Restart the computer.

Step 3: Install the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

a)       Right click on the setup file (setup.exe for the driver) and select Properties.

b)       Now click on the Compatibility tab and check the box which says Run this program in compatibility mode for.

c)       Select Windows 7. Click Apply and OK.

d)       Now right click the setup file and select Run as Administrator and follow the normal installation procedure.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only AMD driver for the release preview is http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx but this does not support the Mobility Radeon 3200.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried it just now. At first I could not install because I needed to uninstall everything from AMD (when in compatibility mode it does not detect if something is installed).

I get a bit less glitches, but I still DO get them, which is still problematic. Is it possible that it is from software problems?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tested it out on an old game (Warcraft III) and it was not making any glitches, while it did have glitches on newer games like Diablo 3 and League of Legends. It's weird, but I think it should help tracing the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been thinking about something weird. If I had the windows 8 consumer preview iso saved, could I somehow pull out the drivers from it?

Like, if I could unpack the driver that used to work, but is no longer available, then I won't have problems.

But is that possible or do I have to install the whole windows again and take a driver backup?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.