Lost my wireless driver after installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Original title: why did i lose my wireless driveres when installing windows 8 A7 WHERE ARE THEY ??

I INSTALLED THE "GREAT" SYSTEM" AND IT HAS SCREWED UP MY COMPUTER I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING TO GET IT RIGHT EVER SCINCE, I CANT FIND HALF OF MY PROGRAMS PICTURES MUSIC !!!! 

HELP!!!!   *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Answer
Answer
Hi,

1. Did you make any changes to the computer before the issue occurred?
2. Were you able to install the drivers without any issue?
3. what is the make and model of the computer?

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until the manufacturer releases Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

Note: If they don’t have Windows 8 drivers, look for Windows 7 drivers. Some drivers might be available using Windows Update.
I would suggest you to try the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Let’s run the Network and Internet troubleshooter and check if that helps. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

a) Move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click on the ‘Start’ icon and select ‘Control Panel’.
b) In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.
c) Under ‘Network and Internet’, click ‘Internet Connections’.

Method 2: Also I would suggest you to try updating the drivers for the Wireless Network adapter and check if that helps. Follow the steps provided below to update the drivers.

a) Drag the mouse to bottom left corner and right-click on the ‘Start icon’.
b) Select ‘device manager’.
c) Right-click on the ‘Wireless Network adapter’ and click on ‘Update driver software’.

Method 3:

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility
This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
a) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
b) Then click "Troubleshoot Program"
c) In the next window click an option that best describes the situation and click next to continue.
d) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs/drivers may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Hope this information is helpful.
John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2013 Views 1,031 Applies to: