Question

Q: Xbox One Wireless controller keeps disconnecting

Hello.

I recently bought a Xbox One Wireless controller with the PC wireless adapter.

The problem is... after I logon into Windows 10 the controller connects fine ONE TIME, then, after turning it off and then turning it on again, the controller connects (light stay still) for about 1 or 2 seconds and then the controller turns off again, I even can use it in those 1 or 2 seconds, showing that it successfully connected, but then it disconnects. The problem is only solved after I logoff and login again into Windows (don't need to do a full reboot).

My wired Xbox 360 controller works like a charm. Why do the next gen controller of Microsoft doesn't work well with a system developed by the same company? When I google it, it's problems all around. And judging by the behavior, it's a driver problem, not hardware, cause if it was a defective unit a simple logoff-login wouldn't fix it (and lots of other people wouldn't have similar problems).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: link to the same post on the Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/Phrwta so anyone passing by can easily enter and give a vote to the problem. Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The same would happen to me, but it would be that it would work for a couple of days or maybe a week. But if I was to stop using for a couple of days and leave it still plugged into my computer, it would not light up or connect with the wireless controller if I was to start using it again a couple of days later or a week later. I would have to unplug it and plug it back in or even uninstall the driver for the adapter and reinstall it to fix it. So right now I just uninstall the driver for the adapter and stop using the controller for now until maybe when the creator update comes out. Maybe by that time, there will be a new update for the adapter driver to fix the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hi Gabriel, 

To isolate the problem with your Xbox One wireless controller. Here is a link on how to troubleshoot your Xbox One controller for Windows.  

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Where is the link? There is no link to click (using EDGE).

I have the EXACT same problem.

A simple LOG OFF and LOG back in fixes it.

steve

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

Hello.

I recently bought a Xbox One Wireless controller with the PC wireless adapter.

The problem is... after I logon into Windows 10 the controller connects fine ONE TIME, then, after turning it off and then turning it on again, the controller connects (light stay still) for about 1 or 2 seconds and then the controller turns off again, I even can use it in those 1 or 2 seconds, showing that it successfully connected, but then it disconnects. The problem is only solved after I logoff and login again into Windows (don't need to do a full reboot).

My wired Xbox 360 controller works like a charm. Why do the next gen controller of Microsoft doesn't work well with a system developed by the same company? When I google it, it's problems all around. And judging by the behavior, it's a driver problem, not hardware, cause if it was a defective unit a simple logoff-login wouldn't fix it (and lots of other people wouldn't have similar problems).

Thanks in advance.

This is driving me crazy. It happens with 2 different controllers (XBOX ONE and XBOX ONE PRO) and I even bought a SECOND adapter - same thing

I have tried

USB2

USB3

No matter what it happens

Asus Z77

Intel 3770k

NVIDIA 1080

Latest windows (NOT insider)

steve

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response, here is a link on how to troubleshoot your Xbox One controller for Windows.  

Keep us in the loop. 

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran through the basic troubleshooter you mentioned, not really helpful.

This is what I have done (and can reproduce it)

1. Reboot windows 10.

2. Controller works fine

3. Put computer to SLEEP

4 Wake from sleep

5. Controller turns on, sync, working, for 5 second. Controller turns OFF

6. LOG OUT

7. LOG IN

8 COntroller works as #2 above

9 RInse repeat

100% reproducible. How can I help further? Its infurating.

I have also gone into device manager and DELETED my adapter

I even bought ANOTHER adapter and same issue.

SAme issue with 2 xbox one controllers (XBOX Elite and Regular, NOT the S)

steve

Sorry this didn't help.

thank you for your response, here is a link on how to troubleshoot your Xbox One controller for Windows.  

Keep us in the loop. 

Regards.

Same output as docace. 

I know you must follow the protocol, but this is clearly a driver (or anything else in the system) problem and not an isolate case, just Google it and you should see the number of problems with this controller around the web. Microsoft should take a serious look at this ASAP. 

Thanks. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply, have you attempted any troubleshooting steps yet?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

JOmari,

DId you see what I have done above? This is extensive testing across 2 adapters and 2 controllers.

Can you try it on your own machine? If you take the batteries out while on, put them back in, can you resync without needing to log out?

This is all over bing/google. Its not just us.

Again, what EVENT logs can I get you?

steve

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for your response. For more in-depth troubleshooting, we would suggest that you contact our Xbox Chat support.

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12,795 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: