Xbox one controller and Windows 10 = Stutter

Hi, 

I'm using a Xbox one controller with the Windows USB adapter on my Windows 10 Home system and generally it works very well but similarly to some other people I'm having an issue with the driver. 
About 5-30 min into using the controller the controls start to become slowed and jittery, the games depending on how they are programmed also start to stutter and lag (most noticeably Fallout 4) as they "wait for input" and the controller laggs behind. 

The issue is temporally resolved by pulling out the batteries from the controller and putting them back in, my guess is that it's a cache or memory that doesn't get cleaned up properly and results in a overload situation. This issue is apparently also during wired usage but in that case you can remove the Windows 10 drivers and force the Windows 7/8 drivers to resolve the issue. 

One of many similar issues reported on Steam forums
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/523897653317981376/

Is there a similar way I can solve the issues with the wireless? Or if not then when can we expect a driver update for the controller as it seems to be a minor issue that is driver based but really breaks usability of the controller with Windows 10 and dropping ~$100+ for getting a native controller now seems a bit sad when third party vendors or even software "hacks" like MotionJoy and a PS3/4 controller works flawlessly. 

Anyone got any ideas? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Rulle,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

From the description provided, I understand that you experience performance issues with the games after few minutes of gameplay.

Follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Place the computer in a Clean Boot state and check if there are any third party applications to be causing the issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Additionally, temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall software installed in your computer to check if it is trying to communicate with the game program to interfere.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2

This behavior can be resolved if you try to reconfigure the drivers and install the latest ones..

I suggest you to check the following links which suggests on how help the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system. 

Also, check is any updates has been released to download and install the latest drivers available for the controller device you are using.

Write to us with the updated information and we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem, and others with me.

This needs to be looked into.

The problem is similiar with both USB and Wireless dongle.

I updated the controller via the Xbox peripherals program in Windows 10, but it didn't help at all.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar issue. I can play my games without problems fine until I plug in my elite controller then the screen jitters as I turn in some games like the evil within, and slender the arrival. Others like gta and max Payne 3 give me bad screen tearing. As soon as I remove the cord to the controller everything returns to normal. I finally figured out it was a controller issue after I already took my computer back to my local pc shop twice thinking there was a an issue or defective hardware. Very upsetting. Please fix this issue Microsoft. This controller was too much money to be a well designed paperweight :(

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah the drivers seem to be REALLY BAD, every once in a while the dongle also fails to load properly and my entire system acts spastic until I pull it out and put it in again. 
Kinda sucks because when it works it's great and it's not really a cheap piece of hardware either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem with a wired controller, and found a workaround was to use a pair of different (Microsoft) drivers, as detailed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/comments/3rs0mv/xbox_one_controller_causes_fps_stuttering_and_lag/d0ngchf

However, now I've got an Oculus Rift, I'm using the wireless controller. And I can't do the same changes. I'm now stuck having to faff about with the controller about 30 minutes into a game or activity because every button or analogue stick movement causes the whole OS to stutter - and in VR that's -really- unpleasant if you happen to be looking around at the time.

I don't know what the issue is here, for reference I'm using an Asus MAXIMUS VIII Hero motherboard, so I don't know if there's some USB-driver related weirdness going on with Asus's software. It doesn't happen with x360 controllers, but I can't really use those any more.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

I'm getting the same issue (specially with EA games).

I've got 2 models of controllers:

1 xbox one wireless with dongle infrared

1 xbox one wireless bluetooth white model

Both tried with windows 10 anniversary update and even with the xbox360 controllers drivers....still stuttering ingame (after 10-30 minutes using).

I'll try with that new driver to see if it can be correct.

Still I've tried my PS3 controller with the SCP driver and with that controller, it works perfectly (even after hours of game).

So big disappointment to have spended 50€/controller to see a PS3 is working better on windows 10...but will try this other option driver.

My config:

Motherboard ASUS Z170 Pro

CG Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB OC GDDR5

Windows on SSD Sandisk

Games on apart SATA disk 1To

16Go RAM Corsair

Screen Iiyama 2K connected to the displayport of the CG card

Ingames problem: stuttering after 10-30 minutes ingame (like freezing as I would play with a pentium 400MHz and a Creative Geforce card from the years 90):

Games:

Dragon Age Inquisition

Alice Madness Return

Recent: mass effect andromeda

Recent: Titanfall 2 (ther a little bit less stuttering)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Only solution I ever found was a complete Windows reinstallation. After I did that it worked fine since. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Only solution I ever found was a complete Windows reinstallation. After I did that it worked fine since. 

Hello

I've already tried this option (windows 10 anniversary update had crashed so needed to reformat and reinstall properly).

Still the same issue.

And it's really a problem with the controllers drivers or software because a simple "linux based program" for PS3 controllers works perfectly (wireless and wired).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you do a built in settings/recovery Windows reset, or a complete reinstallation. A Windows reset didn't solve me, but a complete format did. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you do a built in settings/recovery Windows reset, or a complete reinstallation. A Windows reset didn't solve me, but a complete format did. 

Hello

complete reinstallation: partitionning, formatting, reinstallation with the anniversary update already on disk.

But finally found the problem and solved it.

It came from the ASUS AI Suite 3. I've read several posts mentionning the same problem with 1 common thing: Asus mainboard.

It seems it comes from the USB 3.1 and 3.0 boost and charge software.

I completely uninstalled the software, removed the controllers from the devices, disconnected them, restarted the computer and added 1 after 1 the 2 controllers.

Now all the games works perfectly even after hours of game (Wireless: Bluetooth and infrared and wired).

And even in Ultra settings, no stuttering ingame :-D

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2022 Views 18,922 Applies to: