Windows 10 High Ping on Games

So I was playing CS:GO and I kept getting ping over 900 and I have had never any ping problems with Windows 7 but when I upgraded to Windows 10 I got the over 900 ping so I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem.

(Sorry if there was a post similar to this and that I didn't read)

Thanks to anybody who replied!

Question Info

Last updated August 27, 2019 Views 39,857 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It might be caused by background downloads in progress.

You can see which apps are using most of your internet connection capacity by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc to access Task Manager and sorting processes by Network.

Try setting your network as a metered connection to prevent unwanted background download.

Go to Stetting>Network & Internet>Wi-Fi>Advanced Option and toggle Set as metered connection

This would also prevent Windows from downloading updates in background, so it's recommended that you turn your connection back to a non-metered connection after your done.

Sorry for my bad English :)

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this problem as well - unfortunately changing this setting did not solve the problem, so I downgraded to Windows 8.1.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

YES! You aren't alone mate. I've encountered over 7 people in the last week with this exact same issue alongside me. I upgraded form 8.1 to 10 and my ping was spiking to over 700ms making the game completely unplayable.

Things to note:
- The machine is a Lenovo Y50 FHD 2014 Gaming Laptop that came with 8.1 installed by OEM
- Three of the people I spoke to had the same laptop, two of which had a different networking card.
- The issue seems to be present on laptops both with the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 and Dual Band AC 3160
wireless adapters.

What I've done to trouble shoot:
- Try other games to ensure its not just CS:GO (problem still there)
- Restarted and tried other channels on my router
- Installed latest driver from Windows Update
- Installed latest driver from Lenovo's Driver page for my laptop
- Installed latest driver from Intel's website
(none fixed the issue)

- Plugged in a cheap $25 Belkin N300 Wireless adapter, Ping was around 40ms and would sometimes spike but no where as bad as it was when using internal wireless. So that lead me to believe it's likely the wireless adapter

Got frustrated, completely wiped my SSHD and proceeded with a completely 100% clean install of windows 10, only backing up my music, documents and game save files on Dropbox.

After the fresh install, i manually updated drivers for win10 via Lenovo's page but let windows update do the wireless instead of installing latest from intel. My ping is now averaging 50-60ms but still spikes to 130ish at times. CS:GO is much more playable than it was before. The spikes are annoying but not actually stopping gameplay. At this point, im unsure if the remaining spikes are caused by factors in windows so I:

- Disabled Xbox Streaming service
- Turned off Cortana (already off since Canada is not a supported region)
- Turned off P2P updates
- Added "ScanWhenAssociated" to the registry (DWORD with HEX value 0)- this was a previous known fix for high latency with my wifi adapter.

*The spikes to 120+ still occur despite these tweeks. So far the best solution I had to reducing latency was doing a fresh CLEAN install of Windows 10. Meaning *

At this point, I've notified Intel about the problem. Lenovo about the problem. Posted on both reddit and steam discussions to gather further information. From there, I've met a small handful of users experiencing the same issue. All using wireless after getting Windows 10. They all claim the issue was not present on previous versions of windows (I too can confirm this)

Microsoft, Please help is in any way possible. A lot of us absolutely love Windows 10 and have noticed much better optimization in games receiving 10+ FPS in various games that were not able to achieve so in Win8.1 or even 7.

On behalf of all people experiencing this issue, I think its safe to say we're desperate for a valid solution so we can get back to enjoying our entertainment the way we were used to on previous versions of Windows.

195 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

MSI GP60 2PE Leopard

Intel Dual Band AC 3160 wireless adapters and Killer E2200

Help to solve please

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So I was playing CS:GO and I kept getting ping over 900 and I have had never any ping problems with Windows 7 but when I upgraded to Windows 10 I got the over 900 ping so I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem.

Hello.

I have got this issue a few times on windows 10 PCs

To fix this Go To Network Advanced Settings And Enable Metered Connections

And Go To Windows Update Advanced Options - Choose how updates are delivered

And Disable It!

This fixed it for me :) Also Run Your Game As An Admin and make sure its set to high priority!

Thank you for reporting this issue :)

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey :D

I "Had" This issue to!

First Get CCleaner And Fix All Registry Issues!

Then Follow The Post Below!!

"

YES! You aren't alone mate. I've encountered over 7 people in the last week with this exact same issue alongside me. I upgraded form 8.1 to 10 and my ping was spiking to over 700ms making the game completely unplayable.

Things to note:
- The machine is a Lenovo Y50 FHD 2014 Gaming Laptop that came with 8.1 installed by OEM
- Three of the people I spoke to had the same laptop, two of which had a different networking card.
- The issue seems to be present on laptops both with the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 and Dual Band AC 3160 
wireless adapters.

What I've done to trouble shoot:
- Try other games to ensure its not just CS:GO (problem still there)
- Restarted and tried other channels on my router
- Installed latest driver from Windows Update
- Installed latest driver from Lenovo's Driver page for my laptop
- Installed latest driver from Intel's website
(none fixed the issue)

- Plugged in a cheap $25 Belkin N300 Wireless adapter, Ping was around 40ms and would sometimes spike but no where as bad as it was when using internal wireless. So that lead me to believe it's likely the wireless adapter

Got frustrated, completely wiped my SSHD and proceeded with a completely 100% clean install of windows 10, only backing up my music, documents and game save files on Dropbox.

After the fresh install, i manually updated drivers for win10 via Lenovo's page but let windows update do the wireless instead of installing latest from intel. My ping is now averaging 50-60ms but still spikes to 130ish at times. CS:GO is much more playable than it was before. The spikes are annoying but not actually stopping gameplay. At this point, im unsure if the remaining spikes are caused by factors in windows so I:

- Disabled Xbox Streaming service
- Turned off Cortana (already off since Canada is not a supported region)
- Turned off P2P updates
- Added "ScanWhenAssociated" to the registry (DWORD with HEX value 0)- this was a previous known fix for high latency with my wifi adapter.

*The spikes to 120+ still occur despite these tweeks. So far the best solution I had to reducing latency was doing a fresh CLEAN install of Windows 10. Meaning *

At this point, I've notified Intel about the problem. Lenovo about the problem. Posted on both reddit and steam discussions to gather further information. From there, I've met a small handful of users experiencing the same issue. All using wireless after getting Windows 10. They all claim the issue was not present on previous versions of windows (I too can confirm this)

Microsoft, Please help is in any way possible. A lot of us absolutely love Windows 10 and have noticed much better optimization in games receiving 10+ FPS in various games that were not able to achieve so in Win8.1 or even 7.

On behalf of all people experiencing this issue, I think its safe to say we're desperate for a valid solution so we can get back to enjoying our entertainment the way we were used to on previous versions of Windows. "

Thank You Scotty Mc Lean You Had All But 1 step!

Also If It Does Not Say

Enable a metered connection :D

Im Going To Pass This On To Other Websites to make sure

It All Works Corectly for others!

This WORKED! For me anyways :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Also A New Windows 10 Intel Driver If You Have The AC Cards!

Intel Has The Windows 10 driver on there website :)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it before the CSGO update or after. Lots of people are reporting this issue after the update. They are saying that the new update has messed up the routing or something. I would suggest to try connection optimizer like Kill Ping. It will bypass all the nodes in between and directly connect you to game server. 

But first do these steps given in the guide for CSGO

How to Solve High Ping Issues in CS:GO

Sorry this didn't help.

I switched my game resolution from 1920*1080 to 1280*720. No more lags for me but still don`t know what causes this.

Core duo E4500

3gb RAM

VGA Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS with latest drivers installed.

Not enough for CS:GO?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started having high ping after windows last update, and tried different fixes that haven't worked..Its a pain !

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.