Warning, Windows 10 Home 1803 has serious problems with Gaming

If you are running home or if your computer updated to Home v1803 there are some serious compatibility issues, basically the update is borked and will cause game crashes and BSOD name it.

If you are one of those that are experiencing crashes and you have 1803 you have a few options, roll back to 1709 or install a 1709 fresh build or wait until MS releases a hot fix to address these issues. If you have 1803 look at the Administrative Events under custom view in the Event Viewer (right click search - Event) it's a total nightmare from module faults to network disconnecting to permissions being denied to Security Center faults name it it's all there.

At this point it's not the game or graphics card but basically a very very bad build release. How in the world can a build like this make it to release is beyond me.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had the same issues. I have had more and more BSOD errors with 1803 when I had zero before. 

I had been running Project Cars 2 using Oculus Rift and streaming with OBS Studio and I have had Project Cars 2 quitting to the desktop with a bug report window (never ever had that before), stuttering and glitching graphics (frame rate glitch/tiny corruption) and audio (random crackling in audio) and straight up BSOD screens. I have had heat issues which I didn't seem to have under 1709 either but I am less convinced they are to do with the crashes as the CPU should throttle if over heating and whilst it was hot, it wasn't at a critical level and neither was the GPU.

Anyway I have installed liquid cooling now to get rid of any heat issue with the CPU but I too have rolled back to 1709 to be safe. After rolling back I streamed without any issues what so ever for over 1.5 hours. Maybe the cooling has solved it or maybe there is a deeper issue in 1803.

As the issues have come at a time when I have had other changes too it's hard to 100% blame 1803 but I will say I was having none of these issues before the update even with heat etc. and I have zero issues after the roll back so for now I shall be sticking with 1709. There seems to be a lot of issues reported with increased BSOD screens (increased from zero to about 5 for me) with 1803 and I believe it was actually delayed because of BSOD issues also. It's worth noting I had assumed the first BSOD was the Chrome/Cortana bug but even since the patch to fix that the system was unstable gaming. 

I need to trawl through the logs to see exactly what happened if I can before considering trying 1803 again I only experienced issues when gaming, more so when streaming. Maybe it's just the cooling that caused the problem but it seems many others are seeing the same issues too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 7 Applies to: