"Nothing to record. Play some more and try again."

Whenever I try to record a game using the Windows Game Bar, it waits a few seconds and then gives me this message:

Is there a way to fix this? If not, and if this bug is not fixed VERY soon, I might start using a -- dare I say it -- third party screen recorder...

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 3,201 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I can understand that it must be difficult for you when things are not working as it should. Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending update son the pc?

• Is the issue specific to any game?

Sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and login to the Admin account to test if that helps with this issue.

Some problems can be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Sign out. Once you’ve signed out, sign back in to your account.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.  Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

You may boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending update son the pc?

• Is the issue specific to any game?

Sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and login to the Admin account to test if that helps with this issue.

1. I did not make any changes to the PC that should have anything to do with the Game Bar's recording function.

2. I have installed all available updates.

3. No, it affects all games.

The only account on my PC is the admin.

My favourite part of Windows 10? It's not Vista.

Sorry this didn't help.

Configure Game DVR Settings

The Game Bar and Game DVR settings are controlled from within the Xbox app. Open the Xbox app, click the Settings icon, and then select Game DVR to customize them.

Here is the useful link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/219947/how-to-record-pc-gameplay-with-windows-10’s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

UHD fan

Sorry this didn't help.

Configure Game DVR Settings

The Game Bar and Game DVR settings are controlled from within the Xbox app. Open the Xbox app, click the Settings icon, and then select Game DVR to customize them.

Here is the useful link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/219947/how-to-record-pc-gameplay-with-windows-10’s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

I know how to use the Game DVR settings. I have looked through them and can't find a single thing that can fix my problem...

My favourite part of Windows 10? It's not Vista.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. I used to be able to record videos and suddenly I receive the same error for all of my games. (Dark Souls 3, FIFA, Counter-Strike, etc.)

I have an Nvidia GTX 760 and am running drivers version 368.22 and wonder if one of the recent updates broke the recording function. I see no ability in any of the Game DVR settings pages to test or troubleshoot. When I press the Record button in-game, I receive the same message.

Sorry this didn't help.

Whenever I try to record a game using the Windows Game Bar, it waits a few seconds and then gives me this message:

Is there a way to fix this? If not, and if this bug is not fixed VERY soon, I might start using a -- dare I say it -- third party screen recorder...

Hi Willem,

This is Rohan on the Game DVR team. I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this error, that too on all games. We'll get to the bottom of this! First off I need to know what build of Windows you're running, what graphics hardware you have and what driver versions are installed. This and other helpful information can be gathered from Dxdiag. Next, we'll file a bug and try to reproduce the issue, this gives us insight into exactly what's goin on and why you might be seeing this error. Here's how you do it:

1. From Start, launch dxdiag.exe and save all information to dxdiag.txt
  2. Launch the Feedback Hub, go to the Apps & Games category, Game DVR subcategory.
  3. Add new feedback, mark it as a Problem (important).
  4. Attach the dxdiag file.
  5. Launch your game.
  6. Click the "Begin monitoring" button & try to record something in your game. You will hit the error here.
  7. Click the "Stop monitoring" button.
  8. Click the "Submit" button to send the bug to us.

We'll look for the bug on our end (although right now, we have no way of knowing it's actually you). I hope you decide to give us a shot at solving your problem before you consider switching to a third party recorder :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. I used to be able to record videos and suddenly I receive the same error for all of my games. (Dark Souls 3, FIFA, Counter-Strike, etc.)

I have an Nvidia GTX 760 and am running drivers version 368.22 and wonder if one of the recent updates broke the recording function. I see no ability in any of the Game DVR settings pages to test or troubleshoot. When I press the Record button in-game, I receive the same message.

Hey Zachary,

Please see my response to Willem's post, and follow the steps there to log a bug through the Feedback Hub. The more information we can get about this problem, the quicker we can identify the root cause.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

You suggested Launch the Feedback Hub and this step really confused me. If I search on my desktop for Feedback Hub, I get no results. On Windows 10, this is titled Windows Feedback, so I would suggest updating your instructions to tell users to open the Windows Feedback application. As that would be more intuitive, as I thought maybe you were recommending me to search for a hub on this website as I couldn't find it on my machine.

I followed the steps by going to the Apps & Games category and Game DVR subcategory. After selecting Create New Feedback, I described my issue and marked it as a Problem. You suggest attaching my dxdiag file, yet I saw no method to accomplish this. I tried dragging the file, but it refused. I suspected maybe I had to create the feedback to attach my file, so I submitted the issue and discover the issue vanishes without any capacity for me to revisit and attach the file.

I also do not see a way to attach files to this post. As I'd like to help solve this problem, I've uploaded the file to OneDrive.

Luckily, my issue shows up in the Recent Issues, so I was able to get a link for this. Here is the issue I submitted. I still see no way to add a dxdiag.

Is there a Feedback Hub inside the Xbox application? You suggest the below steps, but I have no idea how I am supposed to start & stop monitoring my game data, nor how I could submit this data.

Launch your game.
Click the "Begin monitoring" button & try to record something in your game. You will hit the error here.
Click the "Stop monitoring" button.
Click the "Submit" button to send the bug to us.

Some additional information about my machine. I recently upgraded to the Nvidia 368.39 drivers and am still experiencing the same issue.

The majority of my games are run in Windowed mode as I have two monitors. Additionally, my primary monitor runs at 144hz. When I press Record, I usually see a Microphone icon with three dots and then it fails after a few seconds. This is strange because I have the Microphone recording functionality disabled.

Here is an image of the Microphone Icon. Here is an image of the failure. This also shows you my desktop resolution used for gaming.

Would installing the Xbox Beta app possible fix this? (I'm not sure if GameDVR is part of this package.)

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional information.

I have not made any hardware changes, nor have I changed the resolution. I have always ran the game in windowed mode. The only changes I am aware of are Windows Updates and Nvidia graphics driver updates.

The last time I used this functionality was on May 6th and I was able to record without any issues. It was great to have the functionality, but now it is disappointing that once I finally started to appreciate it, I am no longer able to use it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Zachary, I apologize for the confusion. I should not have assumed you were a Windows Insider--still getting used to the forums :) I looked at your dxdiag, looks like you are on build 10586, which explains why you are seeing the Windows Feedback app, and not the new and improved Feedback Hub.

For the Anniversary Update, we made a lot of improvements to the feedback app to get around some of the limitations, some of which you ran into yourself like attaching a file to a bug, or attaching traces automatically.

Regarding the microphone icon, if you inspect it closely, you'll see that the icon is a reminder that you have the microphone disabled for that recording. In the next update, that should be clickable to toggle mic recording on/off while recording. We are working on making that tiny bar more useful, so it should get better with time.

If you would like to pursue this further, I have a couple of regkeys that you can use to turn tracing on/off. These traces will give us more detailed information as to why you're hitting this error. Please use the Onedrive folder you linked above--make it public. Or if you don't feel comfortable doing that, PM me the link to a public folder, and we can go from there.

I really appreciate your help in chasing this bug down. We want to get you back up and recording as soon as possible.

Sorry this didn't help.