Minecraft Windows 10 Edition: Stuck in the Beta Version

I was testing a gold farm design, and some bugs that stopped it from working in the release version were patched in the beta. I'd never used the beta before, but I assumed it would be like Java where it can be installed at the same time as the release version. I opted into the beta on the Xbox Insider Hub, and tested some stuff for an hour or two. I mainly play on a realm, so I went to downgrade the version back to the release, allowing me to hop back on that world.

The Xbox Insider Hub now says I'm no longer in the beta, but when I launch the game I'm still in it. I've reinstalled multiple times, and even restarted my PC in between reinstalls. I have had no success in reverting to the release version.

How do I go back to the release version?

I've noted that the download time is way faster than it should be, and Minecraft reinstalls in a quarter of the time it takes me to download a file of that size, so it seems like when I uninstall it isn't fully uninstalling.

I don't understand why there isn't just a separate beta download which would let users flip flop between the two versions, like on Java with the version profiles. I've lost all the worlds I had on Win 10 edition while trying to reinstall the game, and a better system would completely avoid the problems.

Answer
Answer

I FIGURED IT OUT!

The Fix: Log in on every user account and manually uninstall the game, then reinstall on the main user account. When the download is extremely short, it means another user has the base files. It will just copy their files, even if they're the wrong version. The actual game size is about 180 MB.

How I Found It:

My PC has 2 users on it. My account, and an old one that nobody uses. Even after running the "uninstall from all users" command in the Windows PowerShell (Admin version), my game wasn't reverting to the release version.

As I stated, I was suspicious because the reinstall time was insanely fast. I logged in on the other account. Keep in mind that it hasn't been used for years, and Minecraft had never been opened on it.

On the Help site it says:

"Please be aware that if you have multiple users and/or Xbox Live accounts signed in to your Windows 10 device, you will need to make sure that each user has:

• Backed up any world saves
  • Signed in to their respective Windows and Xbox Live accounts
  • Unenrolled from the beta
  • Uninstalled the beta version of the game"

This other account hasn't been signed in for years. When I read this, I dismissed it because it didn't seem relevant.

Minecraft was uninstalled on my main user account, and was on this second account to try installing the right version from its store. I went to click install, but it said "Play" instead. I quickly uninstalled it and went back to my main account. I reinstalled the game again, but this time there was a 180 MB download, and it took a few minutes. I loaded it up, and it was the release, multiplayer-enabled version!

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2022 Views 7,086 Applies to: