How to play or install old CD games in Windows 10

<Original Title: safe disk fix to run cd games>

does anyone know if Microsoft will do a fix so that we can run our old cd games. such as total war, civilization, etc. because Microsoft didn't include "safe disk" in the windows 10 system. The only way to play our favourites is to repurchase them from "steam"

|

Hi,

Most of the games are not compatible with Windows 10. I suggest you to contact the game manufacture to download and check for the updates on the Game.

You can also try to install the game in Compatibility mode and check if it works.

A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of software in order to allow incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software. Here's how:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.
2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select "Properties".
3. Select "Compatibility" Tab.
4. Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and select operating system that is

Compatible for the game to run from the drop down list.
5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There is more to this than Win10 not having the driver - secdrv.sys - that many versions of SafeDisk use.

MS is actively blocking the driver which prevents the game from launching, so even if you install an secdrv.sys

file into your Windows System32\Drivers folder the game still will not launch.

As you are most likely already aware Compatibility mode is totally useless for games that are prevented

from launching due to MS's draconian protection racket malware.

- A noCD fix/hack is the only way to run disk based games that are affected by MS DRM Blocking malware

on Win10 (there are two other options for Win7/8/8.1 which also get infected via Window update - KB3086255).

Latest Game Fixes | MegaGames

- The developers of some games have been offering Steam keys in exchange for your games disk activation

code. 2K games is one. There is a chance EA Origin is also allowing this with a few games.

I've not bothered finding more about this as I've used noCD fixes for my retail disk based games since forever.

- Two other good  locations for buying older games are (when they have a sale it's almost worth paying

for the game again. I personally will not use the Windows Store for any game or software. Not just because

of MS's DRM Blocking, but because I believe they should stick to selling operating systems, and stop trying to

monopolise the game/software industries as well ).

http://www.gog.com/

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

61 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 26, 2021 Views 35,593 Applies to: