Game requires DirectX 8.1 or higher installed

I recently upgraded from windows 7 to 10 on a new SSD hard drive and fresh install.  I downloaded Command and conquer generals and was able to play it.  After a month of not playing it I tried to play it again yesterday and I get the error Game requires DirectX 8.1 or higher installed or video card does not meet the minimum requirements.  I have been to Origins help page and tried all of their work arounds-changing the compatibility setting, run as admin, change the option file.  I have also tried windows feature and legacy mode but it was already checked.  I also uninstalled from my secondary drive to my primary drive.  One solution was to run directx 8.1 but I have 12 and not sure how I would be able to do that without it auto updating back to 12.  Also not sure why it was working 5 weeks ago and not working now.  Also to note, all the other C&C games appear to be working, it is just this one.  
Hey i reset my pc

61 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You didn't specify it, but I assume you also verified the games files.

You also didn't mention trying to reinstall DirectX, but if you have tried reinstalling using this .... DX installer package

and also get an error your problem may be due to a corrupted .NET, but even if you haven't tried reinstalling DX give repairing .NET a go.

- Repair .NET .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/repair

"One solution was to run directx 8.1 but I have 12"

- Yes, Win10 does have DX12, but it also has DX9, 10, 11, and should have one DX8 file - d3d8thk.dll.

If Win10 only had DX12, 99% of games would not run on Win10. Windows does not determine which of the many DX file gets used,

the game does, and there are still only a small number of DX12 titles at this time..

I'm not positive if the DX8 file is installed with Win10, but if you were able to run the game previously it would be in System32

with all the other DX files. Games from Origin, and the other download sites automatically reinstall DX with every game, which

in theory will include any files that may be missing, and fix any corrupt files because the process overwrites all DX files,

but this can also corrupt some of the DX files on occasion.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I have used origins game file repairer after uninstalling and reinstalling the game. 

I have that DX8 file in my system32 folder.  I do not know how to reinstall DX and I went to that link you put but do not know the pathway in which to install it. 

.NET repair found nothing wrong.  

I should have mentioned that since I installed windows 10 that I have been getting a NDIS.sys failure on a semi regular basis, usually when I am browsing facebook.  I have tried the repairs for that also and they have not worked.  

I have updated everything, checked for errors on device manager drivers and my c drive.  

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally found a solution.  Thanks for the help.  I had to delete dbghelp.dll from the folders and it fixed it.

111 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for posting back with your fix. I'm guessing this help file is a common issue with this game then.

btw ...

"but do not know the pathway in which to install it.  "

- When you use the DX Redist installer package to reinstall\repair DirectX  the first step is to unpack the files to a location of your choice.

You can make a new folder anywhere, such as on your desktop, and extract the files to that folder.

Next step is to open the folder and run the DXSETUP.exe in the folder and it will reinstall the DX files into Sysetm32 and sysWOW64 automatically.

When this is done you can delete the folder you extracted the files to.

- The NDIS.sys repair attempt was with System File Checker ?
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums

- If that failed to fix the problem, it may be due to your internet drivers. Try updating or reinstalling the internet related drivers provided by

the mfg of your motherboard (custom Desktop), or machine (Laptop or OEM desktop - DELL, etc).

- Failing that, there is possibility of a malware, so run a full system scan with your Anti-virus. If it does not find anything cross check by running

a scan using  -  Malwarebytes (free edition) .

It's also possible your Anti-virus is causing the problem, so you may want to try disabling that temporarily.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 89,150 Applies to: