DirectX 9 on Windows 10

I currently have Windows 10 installed on my laptop and I decided to install some old game from 2007 but during the instalation process the game installer asks me to install DirectX 9c or later on my system to be able to continue installing. I checked dxdiag command from run and I have 11.2 version of DirectX.

As far as I know directX comes preinstalled on Windows 10 and I don't need to install anything. Do I have to install older version or downgrade my DirectX to be able to play this old game (Fifa 07)?

Answer
Answer

[EDIT: underscore and bold added for those who posted later and seem to have missed the main points and download links.

This DX9 error is common with games that require Direct Play to be activated, so there is really no need to stuff

around reinstalling DirectX . I had Direct Play activated from day one Win10, so missed this erroneous error message. ]

DX 11.2 indicates the DX 'Feature level' your graphics card is capable of running.

- It's a common misconception that Win7/8/8.1 has only DX 11, and Win10 has only DX12.
Win7/8/8.1/10 all have  of DX - 9,10 and 11.

- The following is a list of the Direct X .dll's you will have when the files are up to date.
Go to the Windows / System 32 folder, (and SysWOW64 if you have 64bit).  
They are in alphabetical order and will start with d3dx9 - 24 > 43 . Then d3dx10 - 33 > 43 & finally d3dx11 - 42 > 43.
There should also be - d3d9, d3d10 and d3d11 (among others).

These come before the D3Dcompilers-33>43+47.
- Win10 currently has only two d3d 12 files. One in System 32,and SysWOW64 .
- There are more DX files, but these are most of the graphics related Direct X  .dll's

- When using a 'clean' Windows 10 (7 or 8) install it's advisable to run the DirectX Web Installer to 'update' DX.
Note that the Web Installer only installs 'missing' files and does not overwrite corrupt files as does

the full DX Redist installer.

Download here:

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

@ People posting below who are still banging on about DX9.0c ... Read ...

- Another common misconception is that you need to install DX 9.0c to run older DX9 games. Not so.
This version has been superseded by the DX Redist (June 2010) which has all of the DX9.0c files, and more.

This installer is the best option if DirectX files are corrupted.

Download here:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - DirectX Redist (June 2010)

Note - This is a two step process. The installer download unpacks files to a location of your choice.

You then open the folder and find the DXSETP.exe  and run that to reinstall DirectX.
Once the reinstall is complete you can delete the folder the files were unpacked to.

- Another reason for DirectX errors is if your graphics processor/accelerator (either Integrated graphics or graphics card)

does not meet the specifications of the game.
- Outdated audio drivers can also cause DirectX errors in some cases.

However.... (If you are using a disk based version of FIFA 07)

FIFA '07 may be a victim of a malware that MS has built into Win10. This game uses SafeDisk copy protection,

which uses a driver titled secdrv.sys  which is being blocked by MS.

I'm not sure, but this game may use a version of SafeDisk that does not rely on the secdrv.sys driver.

You can read more details in my post at  --this thread--

968 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 695,840 Applies to: