Directx 11

Hello, I have about 25 or so games on my windows 10 PC and most are from steam. All of them work fine except for Farming Simulator 19 which I pre-ordered. The game worked fine for a week then I had and update for NVIDIA. I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 graphics card. After the update I restarted my PC and I couldn't even open up my farming simulator. The game would go to a black screen then crash to desktop. No errors or anything else has popped up. My graphics drivers are up to date and windows is up to date. I have changed the renderer in the game.xml file from D3D_11 to D3D_12 and it worked just I only had about 10 frames a second. Then I figured out that if you change the renderer from D3D_11 it automatically changes it to Opengl. All other games work fine with D3D_11. I don't know what the problem is. I could really use some help. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT: I lost sight of the problem starting after you updated your Nvidia drivers. Too focused on your attempted

fixes after the driver update stopped the game from running properly, maybe.

However, generally if a driver update causes problems it affects more than one game.

- Have you ran Steam's Verify Integrity of Game Files tool ? (R/click on the title in your Steam Library > Properties>Local Files

- Failing the Steam repair, try uninstalling and reinstalling your Nvidia driver anyway to confirm if the driver is the source of the problem.

If you use the GeForce Experience for driver updates try that again after you uninstall if you wish, or download the current driver from....

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search  and reinstall the driver manually.      ]

"I have changed the renderer in the game.xml file from D3D_11 to D3D_12 and it worked just I only had about 10 frames a second."

- I'm surprised it ran at all. The game was designed to use DX11, so it wouldn't know what to do with DX12 effects.

Trying to implement DX effects it's not designed to use would slow down processing.

Forcing higher resolutions and doing other tweaks not available in an older games in game settings will often work well, but

DirectX is not one of the things you would want to mess with in a games .xml/,ini/,cfg  files.

"Then I figured out that if you change the renderer from D3D_11 it automatically changes it to Opengl."

- Interesting. Have you installed the 'Reshade' mod ? I had a quick look to see if the game uses OpenGL and see this mod uses OpenGL. 

Because if this, and without digging any further, I am guessing the game is also compatible with Linux.

OpenGL is not inferior to DX11.  OpenGL is the open source standard graphics API, and can offer better graphics than DX,

depending on who is using it and how well they use it.

DX is owned by MS, and in some ways has slowed gaming development because it's only available with Windows, and

I believe MS charges through the nose for developers to use it.

If you have installed mods that use OpenGL and want to use the games DX11 effects you may have to uninstall those mods.

If you have not installed mods you may want to replace your modified .xml file with your backup of the original and start fresh

by using the options in the games graphics settings.

No backup ? Delete the .xml and the game should create a fresh one next time you launch it.

"All other games work fine with D3D_11. I don't know what the problem is. "

- I expect you mean all other games that use DX11. D3D_11.dll is the main DX11 file, but DX11 games would also use d3dx11_42 or _43,

and that's only the start of it.

What DX effects and files a game uses depends on the game. Not windows and not the user (outside in game options).

A number of newer games are restricted to DX11 effects, but many games only use DX10/11 when you use various high/ultra settings.

The lower graphics settings in most DX10/11 games use DX9  effects.

This allows people without high end machines to play those games using the less system intensive DX9 effects.

This is also why DX12 has been slow off the blocks. Developers aren't too keen to make games that are exclusive to DX12 as

it limits the client base, which is already small  when comparing PC to XBOX/Playstation.

It's hard enough to get them to not just port games over from console to PC without making improvements that only high end

PC's can handle.

Older games are obviously limited to DX9 or DX9 & 10. There are a few that are restricted to DX10 as well.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried all of this. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I disabled the NVIDIA video driver in device manager the game ran with the Intel video driver that was already installed but it only ran about 15 frames per second which is terrible. Also, I did install the reshade mod about the 3rd day Farming Simulator was out and then I deleted it because I didn't like it. I just got the December 3, 2018 NVIDIA driver update from geforce experience. The game still doesn't work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the .xml file is back to default and all files related to the Reshade mod are out of the game I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

If you can't find anything helpful on the games forums or developer support reinstalling is about the only other option I can think of atm.

Has the game been patched since you first got it ? If so the issue may have come with the patch ?

Because the problem is limited to the one game Windows and the Nvidia driver are very unlikely to be the source of the problem.

I will guess the main reason your integrated graphics does not run the game over 15fps is it lacks dedicated VRAM.

They seem to stress (@GameDebate) the 2GB VRAM in the specs. Even with older gpu's such as the GTX560 and HD7770.

Even then, they say to expect only 25-36fps @770p.

[EDIT: I may or may not have had an issue with the current 417.01 driver last night & today, so I reinstalled 416.16 which was

working well and still is. Can't confirm yet if it was the Nvidia driver or a problem with my monitor or Displayport cable.

If it was the driver it would be the first time I've ever had any real issues with an Nvidia driver. ]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I have about 25 or so games on my windows 10 PC and most are from steam. All of them work fine except for Farming Simulator 19 which I pre-ordered. The game worked fine for a week then I had and update for NVIDIA. I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 graphics card. After the update I restarted my PC and I couldn't even open up my farming simulator. The game would go to a black screen then crash to desktop. No errors or anything else has popped up. My graphics drivers are up to date and windows is up to date. I have changed the renderer in the game.xml file from D3D_11 to D3D_12 and it worked just I only had about 10 frames a second. Then I figured out that if you change the renderer from D3D_11 it automatically changes it to Opengl. All other games work fine with D3D_11. I don't know what the problem is. I could really use some help. Thanks in advance.

Some games I have also are not working with 1809 with the latest monthly KB rollup

Recent drivers from NVIDIA are a bit messy, you may need to use DDU to clean up and install the latest driver fresh

Computers are useless, all they have are answers - Pablo Picasso

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2023 Views 1,577 Applies to: