Cannot play online due to "Privacy settings"

Me and a friend recently opened up a realm on Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition, but since paying for it on the 31st of August I have only been able to play a total of 4 or so hours over a two-three day period, the first day was fine, the second day I couldn't sign in, after fixing the signing in issues over two more days, I played for a few hours. On the fifth or so day the servers were down all day. My friend is the one hosting the realm, so for me it's under the "Friends" tab in game.

But when I go to the "Friends" tab it says "Your friends are not playing Minecraft right now." If I go to "Servers" it gives me the following message: "You cannot play online multiplayer through Xbox Live because of how your account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy & online safety in your settings at Xbox.com"

Now if I go to Xbox.com and sign in and go to my privacy and online settings, the "Join multiplayer games Decide to allow or block joining Xbox Live multiplayer games on Xbox One." Is set to Allow. Now I've had this problem before, and I fixed it by switching it to Block then back to Allow. But this time, changing it and selecting "Submit" to change the settings it says "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." And the setting doesn't update or change. 

This is very annoying because I can play this realm on my account on the Xbox console. Just not on my laptop through Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition, and me and my friend are splitting money to keep the realm up, and I cannot play. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? So far I can't find anything online to help me with this exact problem, or the suggestions don't work.

Hello DemonicSplatter,

Being a gamer myself, I understand how frustrating it could be when you can't play with your friends online. Looking at the issue, it seems that you are having trouble updating or changing the privacy settings of your Xbox Live account. There may be a number of reasons for this type of issue to occur, and we have created an article on how to troubleshoot this kind of issue. Please check out this link from our official Xbox support website for steps on how to troubleshoot hanging online safety or privacy settings on Xbox account. If you are getting an error message with an error code, feel free to utilize the Error Code Lookup Tool, which can also be found from that link.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The solutions on the link did not help as the error it gives me is not an error code. I can not change my privacy settings because of the error, and as a bonus point update, I can no longer play online on the Xbox one either (only in minecraft, other things seem to be fine). 

I would like to note, my Xbox app on my laptop doesn't want to sign me in as well. Might be related, unsure. 

If it ain't fixed, don't stop fixing it. (For all our sake)

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem changing the privacy settings for my son's account. If you want to see what happens, this video on Youtube shows someone else who is dealing with the same problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-kggpvw8s

Can you help? I now have seriously disappointed kid who is wishing he'd spent his savings on anything other than an Xbox.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, since it's been awhile, I'm just going to say. I might not be able to reply whenever you respond, as I will not have internet for a little bit. 

So, I'm going to make this all very simple. 

I can not play online on realms, or servers on Minecraft windows 10 edition, as well as on the Xbox one itself. It says "You cannot play online multiplayer through Xbox Live because of how your account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy & online safety in your settings at Xbox.com" When I go to Xbox.com, and to my privacy & online safety tab to change it, it tells me an unexpected error has occurred and to try again later there is no error code. On the Xbox one, it says "You cannot play online multiplayer through Xbox Live because of how your account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy & online safety in your settings at Xbox.com" when I try to play a server or realm. 

I'm not sure if this is related, but I also can no longer log in to my Xbox app on my laptop. This is all really annoying as I have been unable to play on the realm I'm helping pay for, it's almost been the month I'm paying for and I haven't been able to play! 

When I try to log on my Xbox app I get: "We can't sign you in right now. Try again later. (0x406)" Also annoying as I have already fixed this issue twice before. I'm getting tired of constantly being disappointed in hoping I can play, but being unable to.  

If it ain't fixed, don't stop fixing it. (For all our sake)

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2023 Views 10,876 Applies to: