Application Error 0xc000007b when launching games Windows 10

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and most games run fine.

I tried to launch Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and it gives me, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007B). Click OK to close the application."

This is the information I get when looking at DirectX:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 8/8/2015, 23:01:28
             Machine name: MACHINE
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150729-1800)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
             System Model: G750JW
                     BIOS: G750JW.207
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
                   Memory: 24576MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 24494MB RAM
                Page File: 5126MB used, 23334MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Just wondering what could be the issue... I've restarted my PC, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, etc...

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

We understand your concern. The game is compatible with Windows 10 as informed by Windows Compatibility Center. See the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=Windows%2010&Locale=en-us&Architecture=X64&TextSearch=Elder%2BScrolls%2BV%253a%2BSkyrim%2B&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

Therefore, the issue could be of some third party conflict. I suggest you to perform Clean Boot and check. 

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem. Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service. After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

Refer to the following Microsoft Article for performing Clean Boot:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Disclaimer: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

NOTE: The link provided works for Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Let us know the results and write for further assistance and we’ll be happy to help.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Navneet, I have tried doing a clean boot and the game still gives me the error. I have tried multiple solutions on the net as well, but none of them seems to work. Any ideas on what to do next?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

try running directx end user2010.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am following  up this thread, if issue is still persisting then the issue could also be related to the Display drivers and other updates. I want to inform you that updates will be released by Microsoft. So, I would suggest you to keep checking your Windows updates not only important one but optional too. If any available try to install them and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

First try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

application error 0xc000007b when launching game. please help what I do?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try to boot the computer in clean boot and disable security software temporarily and then try to play the game as there could be chance that some security software or some startup items is restricting it to launch.

Step 1: Perform Clean boot.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 2: Disable Security software temporarily.

NoteAntivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2023 Views 13,386 Applies to: