Age of Mythology - Windows 10

I recently purchased a custom built pc packed with windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10.

I installed Age of Mythology yesterday and when I try to run the game nothing happens. I have tried all compatibility suggestions and I get the same result.

I also have this same problem with black and white 2.

I have a NVIDIA Geforce gtx 980 graphics card installed in my pc.

Can you provide any suggestions please.

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check with Event Viewer, but I guess you are having the same problem as myself and a number of others.

It's the fact that Windows 10 doesn't come with SECDRV.SYS driver, and the one that comes with the game is a 32-bit driver that isn't signed and won't work. This driver is part of the copy protection mechanism on AOM and other games.

The driver was provided with Win 8.1 64 bit, which is why it worked on that platform.

Which all together means that AOM (and other games that use the same copy protection technology) can't work on Windows 10 until Microsoft provide a compatible driver.

To the best of my knowledge, there is as yet no statement as to whether it will ever be supported ...

913 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, yes this is correct. Safedisc is not supported on Windows 10.

Options:

* Buy a digital version of the game that doesn't have safedisc (steam has Age of Mythology - Extended Edition, which I've played on Windows 10. Although I won't make a promise it will work on everyone's system)

* See if Macrovision has a download for secdrv.sys. I haven't seen or tried this but it is an idea.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Pity the syste compatibility report forgot to let us know about this before commencing. I have the genuine Microsoft version of AOM Gold, already installed on the machine that was upgraded ... Just knowing it was incompatible would have been a start. Luckily i got to the root cause quickly so no time wasted.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description provided, I understand that you are unable to launch the game.

I would suggest you to disable all non-Microsoft services and not necessary startup apps and see if any third party applications are arising the issue. Please follow the below steps.

1. To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot. 

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

2. To disable any 3rd party unwanted startup programs in Windows 8 and above, follow: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20119.how-to-enable-or-disable-startup-programs-in-windows-8.aspx 

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Additionally, I would also suggest you to check for the compatibility of the game for Windows 10 from the below referred link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue. If it still persists, we would be glad to assist you further.  

Thank You.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The result is the same after a clean boot.

There are three events associated with the game not starting, on each occasion:

Event ID 7000
The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
This driver has been blocked from loading

Event ID 1060
The description for Event ID 1060 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\drivers\SECDRV.SYS
the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event ID 7000
The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
This driver has been blocked from loading

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know much about computers...I just really like to play games like age of mythology, age of empires, zoo tycoon, roller coaster tycoon, and red alert series. My gf and I upgraded to Windows 10 but am unable to get any of the discs to load. Got red alert 2 to load, it said incompatible; did the trouble shoot guide but didn't fix it. I uninstalled it then went to reinstall, a message popped up to input my admin password to allow the set up to take place, after hitting enter the disc sounded like it was loading but nothing would happen.

Suggestions????

Do I need to uninstall Windows 10 and bring back my Windows 7? If so, how do I do that? Please help, I'm a dumb blonde :)

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried clean boot up with no success. AOM: GOLD is definitely on the Windows 10 compatibility list as compatible.

I downloaded the additional driver as mentioned but still no success.

I am going to try opening explorer as administrator then install and run game again to see what happens. Going to try this as this worked with windows 8.1 when I had similar issues installing Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. I will let you know how I get on.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone successfully managed to get AoM working? 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i hope this gets solved soon

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sayan_Ghosh ,

Did you have any further advice?

Age of Mythology Gold is listed as "Compatible No Action Required", here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Microsoft%20Age%20Of%20Mythology%3A%20Gold&vendor=Microsoft&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=1&BreadCrumbPath=Age%20of%20Mythology&LastSearchTerm=Age%2Bof%2BMythology&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows%2010

But as you can see, it's seeming that it's not and perhaps the missing driver in WIndows 10 64-bit is the issue.

Many thanks.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2020 Views 149,554 Applies to: