Unable to access to “Prefetch” folder normally, since I am being prompted with the message “you do not have permission for access..”.

Original Title: Access to prefetch folder

When I use windows explorer and go to C:\Windows\prefetch  , I get this popup that says I do not have permission for access but to click to continue and get permanent access. It then shows all the files but the next time I go there I get the same popup. Why? I am using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400. Is there a way to insert a photo in this forum? This is not really a bad problem, just have to click each time, also only happens on maybe two other folders but do not remember which ones.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2013 Views 185 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you!

From your issue description, I understand that you are unable to access to “Prefetch” folder normally, since you are being prompted with the message “you do not have permission for access..”. Please correct me if I have misunderstood the issue.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I need to ask few questions.

Do you get same prompt message, when you try to download any programs, or while installing programs?

Note: If you are getting this prompt message, this is a normal behavior, to protect from unauthorized access from viruses and hackers. However you may disable this feature.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + X’ key on the keyboard, select Control Panel.

b)      In the Control Panel window, select Action Center.

c)      On the right side, click Change User account settings.

d)      Note: If you are prompted for Administrator password, provide it and click on Continue.

e)      Set to Never notify.

Disclaimer to disable User Account Control (UAC): User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users. We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

If you have any issues regarding the Windows, post your reply with results and question asked as above. We are happy to assist you with advanced troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had already set UAC to NEVER NOTIFY. I did check it to be sure because of your reply and it is set to never notify. Since this is not happening everywhere could it just be a problem with the one folder? I have also checked properties of the folder then going to security and clicking advance see that I am not listed as owner, but when I click change and back out I am then listed as owner, I click ok to exit but the next time I check after a restart it is back to no owner listed. I also need to add that after clicking on that first box on continue I can look at the files with no problem and can go back and look again, the box does not return until after a restart of the computer just like with the owner thing. Looks like a glitch or something. I would post a photo of the popup if I knew how in this forum but do not see a way or is there?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would like to add, checking some other folders I see that the prefetch  is the only one I find that has administrator listed as owner. Could this have something to do with it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok found a web page that shows my popup, look at last one on this page

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/seven-common-windows-8-error-messages.html

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details.

What are the 2 folders that you referring to, with which you face the same issue?

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

C:\PerfLogs is the other folder but I was not worried about this one just noticed by clicking around. The one I am interested in is C:\Windows\Prefetch , because I have found sometimes it is helpful to clear it out. I can get to the folder by clicking continue so it is not a problem just extra trouble. I wanted to know if I could fix this so when Windows 8 is released and I buy it and still having the same problem would know of a fix. It seems to be a glitch in the file permissions, but with my limited knowledge it does look like things are right. Of course when I install the pay version I might not have this problem, so another reason I posted was to find out if this was a known problem and would be fixed in the pay version. Thanks sly

Sorry this didn't help.

I replied but do not see the post. Posting this to see if it will cause it to show up.

Sorry this didn't help.