I am having multiple problems with SkyDrive in Windows 8.1

I can't wrap my head around SkyDrive in Windows 8.1.  These are the problems that I am having:

1. I select a folder, and then select online only.  The Available Offline disappears.  I come back 5 minutes later, and the folder once again says "Available Offline." 
  2. When you select online only, after a folder was available offline, you should see some status as to what is happening.  i.e. these 650 files are being deleted. 
  3. The SkyDrive App says "Downloading 6 items..." in the upper right of the screen.  It has been downloading the same 6 items for the past 3-4 hours.  These items in total are not even a mb in size.  When I go to Task Manager, it shows that SkyDrive is not uploading or downloading anything.
  4. My disk usage is at 100%.  SkyDrive is showing at 1-4MB/s.  What is it doing if it is not uploading/downloading anything?
  5. There is no make this thing stop button, so it hogs my bandwidth when I am trying to upload or download something.  When uploading several websites (6+gigs of data), SkyDrive was constantly uploading something (0.4Mbps +/-)
  6. If the files are not on my computer, I do not want to see them in Explorer, that is VERY confusing to me, and to some of the programs that I use.
  7. I apparently had a sync error once.  This led to some folders containing 2-3 instances of the same files with the computers name differentiating the different file. i.e. blahblahcomputer1.blah and blahblahcomputer2.blah.  These were ASP.net project directories, so the applications would not compile because of this.  I had to manually delete these extra files.
  8. Following a sync error, some directories which were set to be available offline, did not have all of the files downloaded.  None of these files showed up as being pending in the download process in the app.  I did not discover that these files were not downloaded, until I tried to compile my app.  This would have been evident, if only the files actually on my hard drive were shown in explorer.
  9. As a user of multiple PC's, I have no idea as to which has priority.  I should be able to select a PC as being the master, with the other PC's being slaves.  I should also be able to make a determination as to which file should override which.  I never receive any notifications about this, so I have no idea how priority is determined.

All of these problems can be fixed by reverting back to the SkyDrive desktop app that was previously available.

Hi Bob,

For the issues related to SkyDrive, I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by Syed N dated June 26, 2013:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-files/what-determines-whether-a-skydrive-file-is/87c97647-d1c3-4b38-8edb-c34cb5a177ad

Also refer to the link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-files/i-am-getting-an-error-to-connect-to-your-skydrive/b71a40bd-287e-4aec-b1f0-a4a203e68b42

Do get back and let us know the status of the issue, I will be glad to help you further. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Vijay,

Thank you for your response.  However, I already read those two posts prior to posting my own question, and none of them address any of the problems that I am having. 

Syed's response refers to how to make files/folders available offline.  I've already done that, my problem is that this feature is not working.  That said, that is only one of multiple problems that I am having. 

The other posts discusses what to do when you receive this error:  “To connect to your SkyDrive, you need to go to PC settings and update Windows."  I am not receiving that error.

Are the issues that I addressed in my post known issues that are being looked into?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't wrap my head around SkyDrive in Windows 8.1.  These are the problems that I am having:

1. I select a folder, and then select online only.  The Available Offline disappears.  I come back 5 minutes later, and the folder once again says "Available Offline." 
    [Bogdan] This may be a symptom of a larger issue, see my comments for #3.
  2. When you select online only, after a folder was available offline, you should see some status as to what is happening.  i.e. these 650 files are being deleted. 
    [Bogdan] I'll mention this to our designers as a future improvement
  3. The SkyDrive App says "Downloading 6 items..." in the upper right of the screen.  It has been downloading the same 6 items for the past 3-4 hours.  These items in total are not even a mb in size.  When I go to Task Manager, it shows that SkyDrive is not uploading or downloading anything.
    [Bogdan] This, and #4 sound very worrying. My best guess is SkyDrive is stuck in the process of downloading a file, and experiencing a transient error. It's possible that the destination file is locked or corrupted somehow.
  4. My disk usage is at 100%.  SkyDrive is showing at 1-4MB/s.  What is it doing if it is not uploading/downloading anything?
    [Bogdan] This could be caused by SkyDrive repeatedly attempting to write a downloaded file to disk but failing. The logging for SkyDrive will also take up disk cycles if it is experiencing errors.
  5. There is no make this thing stop button, so it hogs my bandwidth when I am trying to upload or download something.  When uploading several websites (6+gigs of data), SkyDrive was constantly uploading something (0.4Mbps +/-)
    [Bogdan] You can temporarily stop the process from Task Manager, however, this is not recommended.
  6. If the files are not on my computer, I do not want to see them in Explorer, that is VERY confusing to me, and to some of the programs that I use.
    [Bogdan] Sounds like you're using an older version. This issue has been fixed since. Do you see them if you enable the view hidden system files in the View Options?
  7. I apparently had a sync error once.  This led to some folders containing 2-3 instances of the same files with the computers name differentiating the different file. i.e. blahblahcomputer1.blah and blahblahcomputer2.blah.  These were ASP.net project directories, so the applications would not compile because of this.  I had to manually delete these extra files.
    [Bogdan] This is the result of conflict resolution. When the client detects both local and cloud changes, files are forked to avoid data loss. Unfortunately, it sounds like the sync error you experienced may have caused the conflict resolver to hit some false positives. I can't tell much more unless I have a look at the logs.
  8. Following a sync error, some directories which were set to be available offline, did not have all of the files downloaded.  None of these files showed up as being pending in the download process in the app.  I did not discover that these files were not downloaded, until I tried to compile my app.  This would have been evident, if only the files actually on my hard drive were shown in explorer.
    [Bogdan] Sounds like the sync error prevented those downloads. Again, I'd need the logs to be able to help out further.
  9. As a user of multiple PC's, I have no idea as to which has priority.  I should be able to select a PC as being the master, with the other PC's being slaves.  I should also be able to make a determination as to which file should override which.  I never receive any notifications about this, so I have no idea how priority is determined.
    [Bogdan} The cloud is the master, but we never override changes. If conflicting changes are detected, the files are forked.

All of these problems can be fixed by reverting back to the SkyDrive desktop app that was previously available.

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I've commented on some of your issues inline, but unfortunately I can't make much more progress without some additional info.

If you could provide me with your logs (located in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive\logs) I would really appreciate it. Zip up that folder and email or share it on SkyDrive with me.

Thanks,

Bogdan

Sorry this didn't help.

[Bob]Eventually the "Available Offline" went away.  It appears that the program was working, however you don't get any feedback so it appears that it was not working.
    [Bogdan] This, and #4 sound very worrying. My best guess is SkyDrive is stuck in the process of downloading a file, and experiencing a transient error. It's possible that the destination file is locked or corrupted somehow.
    [Bob]To fix this, I had to set the folder to Online Only, and then set it to Available Offline.  Basically, delete everything and start over.  That took a long time, but it worked.
    [Bogdan] This could be caused by SkyDrive repeatedly attempting to write a downloaded file to disk but failing. The logging for SkyDrive will also take up disk cycles if it is experiencing errors.
    [Bogdan] You can temporarily stop the process from Task Manager, however, this is not recommended.
    [Bob]I did stop the process from the Task Manager, and entered a world of hurt.  I believe that is what led to my having so many forked files.
    [Bogdan] Sounds like you're using an older version. This issue has been fixed since. Do you see them if you enable the view hidden system files in the View Options?
    [Bob] I just checked this again, and the files are still showing in the SkyDrive folder, even though the folder is not set to be Available Offline.  My SkyDrive Version number is 6.3.9431.0
    [Bogdan] This is the result of conflict resolution. When the client detects both local and cloud changes, files are forked to avoid data loss. Unfortunately, it sounds like the sync error you experienced may have caused the conflict resolver to hit some false positives. I can't tell much more unless I have a look at the logs.
    [Bob] After the files are forked, are the files eventually reconciled into one?
    [Bogdan] Sounds like the sync error prevented those downloads. Again, I'd need the logs to be able to help out further.
    [Bogdan} The cloud is the master, but we never override changes. If conflicting changes are detected, the files are forked.
    [Bob] Is this a new process?  I've never noticed forked files in previous versions of SkyDrive.

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I've commented on some of your issues inline, but unfortunately I can't make much more progress without some additional info.

If you could provide me with your logs (located in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive\logs) I would really appreciate it. Zip up that folder and email or share it on SkyDrive with me.

Thanks,

Bogdan

Thank you for taking the time to reply back.  I read your previous reply on my phone, and forgot to reply back when I returned home.  Anyways, the files are available here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8d5bcf7c5e533180#cid=8D5BCF7C5E533180&id=8D5BCF7C5E533180%21237

I have two files.  One for my laptop, which runs everything at home.  I also have one for my Surface pro.  The files are labeled as such.  I have also made some inline comments above.  Thanks again for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

[Bob]Eventually the "Available Offline" went away.  It appears that the program was working, however you don't get any feedback so it appears that it was not working.
    [Bob]To fix this, I had to set the folder to Online Only, and then set it to Available Offline.  Basically, delete everything and start over.  That took a long time, but it worked.
    [Bogdan] Glad to hear that.
    [Bob]I did stop the process from the Task Manager, and entered a world of hurt.  I believe that is what led to my having so many forked files.
    [Bogdan] That is plausible. If you task-killed SkyDrive while it was updating it's internal db, it may have used stale or corrupted data on restart, which will have caused the conflicts. We do not support this scenario.
    [Bob] I just checked this again, and the files are still showing in the SkyDrive folder, even though the folder is not set to be Available Offline.  My SkyDrive Version number is 6.3.9431.0
    [Bogdan] The placeholders may not have been created yet, when you first checked.
    [Bob] After the files are forked, are the files eventually reconciled into one?
    [Bogdan] No. We do not have the capability to merge changes.
    [Bob] Is this a new process?  I've never noticed forked files in previous versions of SkyDrive.
    [Bogdan] It isn't. SkyDrive has always worked like this, however, conflicts are supposed to be rare. Unfortunately, in your situation, false positive conflicts were created by some other issue.

Hi Bob,

Thanks,

Bogdan

Thank you for taking the time to reply back.  I read your previous reply on my phone, and forgot to reply back when I returned home.  Anyways, the files are available here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8d5bcf7c5e533180#cid=8D5BCF7C5E533180&id=8D5BCF7C5E533180%21237

I have two files.  One for my laptop, which runs everything at home.  I also have one for my Surface pro.  The files are labeled as such.  I have also made some inline comments above.  Thanks again for your help.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm glad to hear you've managed to work around most of your issues.

I've had a look at the logs you shared (thanks!) but unfortunately they seem to have rolled over and I'm only seeing ones from yesterday and they don't show any errors or problems.

If you encounter issues again, please save your logs as soon as you can, and share them with us.

I've answered some of your questions inline above.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Bogdan

Sorry this didn't help.

Bogdan,

I have uploaded a new file:  Laptop_08112013.rar to my public drive.  The windows 8 SkyDrive app has been uploading the same 11 files for the past 3-4 days.  I have also added a screenshot of the app:  Laptop_08112013.png.  As you can see in the screen shot, the status for all files is "Pending."

Thanks for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bogdan,

Did you have a chance to look at the new log file?

Bob

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2015 Views 369 Applies to: