How to get Windows 7 login screen in Windows 8 without direct login

I'm using Windows 8 Enterprise RTM (the official MSDN one) but i can't choose that one so im posting under release preview...

On the family PC i really want to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8, because on my Tabet and Laptop i'm verry happy with it!

But i cannot get the login screen in Windows 8 the way i want it.

On my Windows 7, i now have 4 local users, two parents with a password, and two kids without passwords. When i turn on my PC, it shows all 4 accounts including pictures.

When i click on one of the parents pictures, i get the box to type the password

When i click on one of the kids pictures, it directly logs in, cause they don't have a password.

That's exactly what i want in Windows 8!

So i made the same user accounts: two parents with a password, and two kids without passwords.

But Windows 8 directly logs on with the last used account!

When a parrents account was one of the last ones logged on, Windows 8 boots to the login screen where i can type the password for that account. There is also a "back" Arrow, which takes me to the screen i actually want to boot to!

But when one of the kids were the last ones to log on, on the next boot it directly logs on as that account. Then i have to log off to get where i want to be.

I already tried the Group Policy: Computer Policy --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Logon --> Always use classic logon

But then when one of the kids accounts was the last one, it still directly logs on!

I also tried the register key: regedit --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ DontDisplayLastUserName

But with that i get an empty logon screen with two boxes where i need to input both username and password!

I really want Windows 8 to Always boot into that screen where it shows the pictures of the available accounts, so i can click on one of them to use them. Either direct logon when i click a kids account, or let me enter the password for the parents account.

Who can help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Robin Raves,

In Windows 8 if you shut down your computer without signing out from your user account, then the next time when you boot your computer it goes directly to the user account in which you where working.

I would suggest you to sign out from the user account before you shut down your computer. So that next time when you boot to windows 8 you will get the log in screen where you will get option to select the user account you want to login.

Follow these steps to sign out from user account.

a.       Press “Windows key” from your keyboard.

b.      Click on the User name displayed on the top right corner.

c.       Select “Sign out” option.

d.      Now it will take to the login screen.

e.      Select the “Power” button from the left bottom corner.

f.        Then select “Shut down” option.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sathish,

thank you for the quick reply.

But that does not work.

I just tried it

I logged in with a kids account (no password)

I open some apps and close them

Then I sign out (which takes me to the login screen i really want for default!)

But then I shut down the PC an start it up, it directly logs on as that kids account again.

I really hope some one finds another solution.

Kind regards,

Robin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 is already RTM.

Surely someone else must have the same questoin? Or someone must have found a way to do this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

someone must have found a way to do this?

You could try using ProcMon with Boot Logging enabled.

My guess would be that that would expose more registry values than then one that you already tried.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2013 Views 96 Applies to: