Windows DVD Player error: video cannot be decoded

I run x64-based Windows 10 Pro. Ever since the newest Cumulative Update (KB3081438) is applied, besides Security Update for IE Flash Player (KB3087916) and a couple of definition updates, I've obtained the aforementioned repetitive error, "Video cannot be decoded." Anyone familiar with the situation and a solution to the problem? I'd just mention that everything functioned perfectly prior to these updates applied. Sadly, is deferring an upgrade or uninstalling all the updates completely the only way? If so, that's definitely not the method of properly updating the OS and having it coordinated with the apps you charge even US$ 14,99 for, Microsoft!

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2019 Views 2,228 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to the outdated Display driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to update Display driver. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device manager.
  2. Locate for Display Adaptor and expand it.
  3. Right click on the adaptor and click on update.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Quite expectedly and typical of Microsoft, such a generic answer does not help at all, as my Display Adapter driver is brand new (and downloaded from a dedicated graphic card producer's website, i.e., AMD in this case), and doing what you have just suggested produces the ordinary reply that "the best driver is already installed." Seemingly, you pay no attention at all to the previous responses, which have already circumstantiated that your generic reply simply does not solve the problem in this case. Please, Microsoft Support Engineers, be finally subject-oriented and do try to solve the problem you have created with a botched cumulative update, do not just reiterate the Display Adapter story in vain; rather issue a functional Windows DVD Player app update in the Store or modify the fourth cumulative update to work with the aforesaid app! 

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is NOT a graphics card driver issue. It IS a video codec issue which needs to be supplied by MS so that it's video players can play the videos on their computers. I am posting this because I just purchased Windows DVD player because my Computer manufacturer's dvd player only plays sound now after updating to Windows 10. All Internet videos and regular videos play perfectly through Windows media player and Adobe Flash player (on the Internet).

No dvd videos will play without installing other dvd players that cost more money than I can afford, but thankfully allow trial versions to test before buying.

So MS devs. Please pull your heads out of your $%$%'s and fix this so people won't have to demand their money back for a dvd player that doesn't work.

Finally, incase you missed it, I DO have Windows DVD player, and the issue is NOT a graphics adapter issue, it is a CODEC issue.

Update:

After doing more research, and retesting the original graphics driver solution, I have found that the real issue is one of design rather than a diver or codec issue. After retesting the graphics driver solution I found it to be plausible but not as suggested by the MVP who obviously didn't do his homework thoroughly.

So here is what I posted as an update to my  original review I wrote in the app store which may not yet be updated for others to see. My final discoveries apply to my system specifically but may be worth testing on other systems but only at your own risk:

"This app won't work with the latest graphics drivers for my system, but it works perfect with an older driver made for Windows 8.1.

To get this app to work, I rolled my AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics driver back to 14.502.1014.1001. This driver works perfectly with this app and the original dvd app that came with my Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320.

Unfortunately, I can only upgrade my rating from 1 to 2 because it means that for Windows 10, the latest graphics driver for my system won't play nice with any video app except the expensive ones released by companies like Cyberlink which apparently took the time to code their apps to work with Windows 10 and the latest graphics drivers.

So my advice to MS is to go back to the drawing board, and fix the code so this app will work with the latest drivers. I feel like I wasted a $10 coupon and $5.95 on an app that wasn't properly coded to work with the latest graphics drivers."

A little background:

I purchased this app because my original dvd app that came with my system stopped playing dvds.  Since the description of that app states that it only works with Windows 8.1, I cashed in some bing points for a coupon and got this app which didn't work. Windows Media Player wouldn't even play many of my regular files, so I installed a trial version of Cyberlink's dvd player which worked perfectly for all my files as well as my dvds. It should of course because the cheapest version is even beyond my budget and they still care about their reputation.

So I found this forum already convinced this was a codec issue. MS has a habit of only providing certain codecs at an extra cost while only providing the most basic codecs with apps just to get them to work well enough to be satisfactory.

Finally, after posting my original reply, I went back and did more homework to see what had to be done to fix this issue. So I have to admit that for my system, the issue really was a graphics driver issue, but only because the latest graphics drivers for my system don't play nice with the latest video and dvd software provided by Windows. Even the "Movies and TV" app that comes with Windows 10 works like it should after my roll back.

Final Assessment:

This is unacceptable to me, because Microsoft developers apparently didn't test its video and dvd apps with the latest available graphics drivers or this forum topic would not have had to happen.

Advice: To others trying to fix this, you have a couple of choices. 1. Keep searching for media software that will work with the latest drivers (recommended) and budget in the price of that software, or 2. roll back your driver to previous version until you find one that gets this app to work without causing problems with other apps that may require the latest drivers to work.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same issues. This solution did not help.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is NOT a graphics card driver issue. It IS a video codec issue which needs to be supplied by MS so that it's video players can play the videos on their computers. I am posting this because I just purchased Windows DVD player because my Computer manufacturer's dvd player only plays sound now after updating to Windows 10. All Internet videos and regular videos play perfectly through Windows media player and Adobe Flash player (on the Internet).

No dvd videos will play without installing other dvd players that cost more money than I can afford, but thankfully allow trial versions to test before buying.

So MS devs. Please pull your heads out of your $%$%'s and fix this so people won't have to demand their money back for a dvd player that doesn't work.

Finally, incase you missed it, I DO have Windows DVD player, and the issue is NOT a graphics adapter issue, it is a CODEC issue.

Update:

After doing more research, and retesting the original graphics driver solution, I have found that the real issue is one of design rather than a diver or codec issue. After retesting the graphics driver solution I found it to be plausible but not as suggested by the MVP who obviously didn't do his homework thoroughly.

So here is what I posted as an update to my  original review I wrote in the app store which may not yet be updated for others to see. My final discoveries apply to my system specifically but may be worth testing on other systems but only at your own risk:

"This app won't work with the latest graphics drivers for my system, but it works perfect with an older driver made for Windows 8.1.

To get this app to work, I rolled my AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics driver back to 14.502.1014.1001. This driver works perfectly with this app and the original dvd app that came with my Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320.

Unfortunately, I can only upgrade my rating from 1 to 2 because it means that for Windows 10, the latest graphics driver for my system won't play nice with any video app except the expensive ones released by companies like Cyberlink which apparently took the time to code their apps to work with Windows 10 and the latest graphics drivers.

So my advice to MS is to go back to the drawing board, and fix the code so this app will work with the latest drivers. I feel like I wasted a $10 coupon and $5.95 on an app that wasn't properly coded to work with the latest graphics drivers."

A little background:

I purchased this app because my original dvd app that came with my system stopped playing dvds.  Since the description of that app states that it only works with Windows 8.1, I cashed in some bing points for a coupon and got this app which didn't work. Windows Media Player wouldn't even play many of my regular files, so I installed a trial version of Cyberlink's dvd player which worked perfectly for all my files as well as my dvds. It should of course because the cheapest version is even beyond my budget and they still care about their reputation.

So I found this forum already convinced this was a codec issue. MS has a habit of only providing certain codecs at an extra cost while only providing the most basic codecs with apps just to get them to work well enough to be satisfactory.

Finally, after posting my original reply, I went back and did more homework to see what had to be done to fix this issue. So I have to admit that for my system, the issue really was a graphics driver issue, but only because the latest graphics drivers for my system don't play nice with the latest video and dvd software provided by Windows. Even the "Movies and TV" app that comes with Windows 10 works like it should after my roll back.

Final Assessment:

This is unacceptable to me, because Microsoft developers apparently didn't test its video and dvd apps with the latest available graphics drivers or this forum topic would not have had to happen.

Advice: To others trying to fix this, you have a couple of choices. 1. Keep searching for media software that will work with the latest drivers (recommended) and budget in the price of that software, or 2. roll back your driver to previous version until you find one that gets this app to work without causing problems with other apps that may require the latest drivers to work.

I am replying to my own post to report a new issue that can occur because of the way MS changed its update methods.

The day after posting my method for fixing this issue for my system, when I started my system Windows Update re-updated my driver automatically to the latest version requiring that I roll back to my working driver version. Then I had to disable Windows Update in the Services area of Administrative Tools to prevent Windows from doing this again. So for those who rolled back drivers as I did, you may have to decide if it is worth the risk of not receiving any updates by disabling WU (not recommended) or disable it and go through the extra trouble of re-enabling it occasionally to get other updates which may also update your graphics drivers again. The only other option is to wait for AMD to push a new version of their driver that will fix this issue once and for all or at least until another driver messes this up.

Finally, I have one last suggestion. We who are having this issue not just with Windows DVD which works perfectly with the correct driver installed but also with the Media Player and Movies and TV app (which is supposed to replace Media Player), should send a bug report to AMD because it is their updated drivers that are not playing nice with Windows 10's video players. I have already sent my message but may send another one if it doesn't at least push a new beta that works in the next couple of months.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem on Surface  3, win10. No video can play properly on ie or edge... some times doesn't play at all, some times loads it but doesn't play and the image turns to error message, and sometimes is super slow motion with no voice... after many shut downs and restart goes to total no play.
Reset the device, takes two hours, it works for two days and then the same story all over..

Hhheeelllppppppppp

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to the outdated Display driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to update Display driver. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device manager.
  2. Locate for Display Adaptor and expand it.
  3. Right click on the adaptor and click on update.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

This solved my issue without hesitation!! Thank you :)

Sorry this didn't help.