Windows DVD Player app

Bought the Windows Dvd player App $14.99 My External optical drive is a LG GP65NS60.My question is when I load a dvd the app store window comes up I scroll over to the windows dvd player app it says its installed I click on the app then I click on open then the dvd player window opens  and says to play something insert disc. I reload the disc and the then the app store pops up again and the circle starts over. The box of the drive says its windows 8 compatible and mac. The optical drive works like it is suppose on another pc that has windows 8 with Media Center. This is a new laptop that I bought a few days ago with windows 8.1 that I upgraded Immediately to 10. If it is the optical drive which optical drives are windows 10 compatible. Or do I just go back to windows 8.1. I have spent 40 dollars all ready on the app and drive and still can't watch a movie on this new laptop which is great when you travel a lot. What do I need to do next  somebody help please. Maybe I should just return the laptop and buy a cheaper unit that actually comes with optical drive. Somebody please help me and tell me what vim doing wrong . I don't mind paying as long as it operates like its suppose to.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 705 Applies to:
I have a slightly different issue with DVD Player. It was installed with the W10 upgrade and when I played a DVD about a minute into the movie it stops playing giving an error message "Error video can not be decoded" I've tried three different DVDs and all three stop a minute into the disc with this error message. whats going on and how can we fix it? Never had this problem with WMC.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I did get it to play a couple of times like you did  but within a couple of minutes I also got the same error message video cant be decoded. then went back to the endless circle as I explained earlier. Coming close to just going back to 8.1 and buying the pro pack with media center for a hundred bucks. I should have known better to upgrade to 10. I  now  remember my son having all kinds of issues with several programs a couple of years back when he upgraded from 7 to 8. I haven't seen any replies from anyone with help bummer. I certainly would like my $14.99 and put it towards the Windows Media Center when I go back to 8.1

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PatrickConnelly,

Thank you for your post on the forum.

I understand that your question is related to DVD Player App on Windows 10 PC.

Please refer to the following Windows 10 forum page in order to receive further support:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=dvd+player+app&IsSuggestedTerm=false&tab=&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=windows_10&ContentTypeScope=&auth=1#/Windows/windows_10//1

Thanks again for posting!

Kind regards,
Agata J.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Agata J.

Helpful? How was this helpful linking to a forum where none of you has given us any help at all about this yet? I get it, you can't help us because you don't know what's gone wrong and haven't got a clue. Yes? :lol: ~_^

Sorry this didn't help.

That didn't help .

Sorry this didn't help.

@Agata J.

Helpful? How was this helpful linking to a forum where none of you has given us any help at all about this yet? I get it, you can't help us because you don't know what's gone wrong and haven't got a clue. Yes? :lol: ~_^

Yea that was a waste of time just a link to some more people with problems and no legit answers. I ended up going back to windows 8.1 then getting the pro pack with media center little more expensive . Microsoft did refund me the 14.99 and tax for the app. Everything works as designed. Good luck Mohawk52

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently purchased Windows DVD Player app; however, I still am unable to view DVDs on player on my desktop computer.  Please email complete instructions how to use this app?  If that is impossible, then I request a refund of all monies expended on this app.  Thank you for your attention. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please reply: Is the issue confined to all the videos or a certain videos? 

The error "video cant be decoded" may occur when your graphics card isn't updated or is not compatible. I would therefore suggest you go to the Device manager and update the Graphics Card.

Follow the steps to update the Display Adapter drivers:

1. Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.
  2. Expand the Display Adapter.
  3. Double-click on the Graphics Card.
  4. In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
  5. Restart the computer and check.

If your driver is updated and you are still facing the issue then kindly go to the manufacturer's website and reinstall the Graphics Card in Compatibility mode.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Thank you.  

Sorry this didn't help.

At first it didn't work, but then I searched for an update for the graphics card. My card is an Intel HD Graphics 4600. Searching for that I found this.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4cp-hd4600gfx

In the left window list under "Support" "Support Resources" I clicked "Downloads & Drivers"

Up comes "Search Downloads" with search bars and selections. Select [Any Download Type] for [Windows 10, 64bit] 1 download comes up. I downloaded it, restarted again and up came a desktop icon for an Intel Graphics Control Panel basically a dashboard for my card. I opened that and clicked "Video" in there there was all sorts of controls but at the bottom was "Input Range" "Driver Range" which had two selections; Limited and Full range. it was set to Limited so I selected "Full Range", Apply , and tried play a DVD in DVD Player again.

Sorted.

It works a treat now. ^_^
If You have the same graphics card as I, do like JR says, but check your card software version first before and after updating. If its not 10.18.15.4256. go to that Intel link above and download that update, to get a control panel and do what I just did, or search for your particular graphics card make and model update, or download and see if that has a control panel, or dashboard to adjust the input attributes of the card.

Happy Birthday Hatsune Miku! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.