Known issues with Office and Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
We're working to fix the issues that may come up when using your Office apps with Windows 10. In the meantime, please use the following workarounds to fix the problems.
Details

You receive an error when opening Office files after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

You might get an error when trying to open your Office 2013 documents, such as Word experienced an error trying to open the file or This file is corrupt and cannot be opened. You can install an update for Office 2013 to fix this problem. See this article for more information.

Can't find Office applications after Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 doesn’t pin the Office apps to the Start menu or the Taskbar by default, but there are a few ways to find and open Office applications from the Start screen and taskbar in Windows 10. See this article for more information.

Error: We're sorry, but <Office App name> has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly

When opening Office 2013 apps after upgrading to Windows 10, you receive the error We’re sorry, but <app name> has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Note that the error includes the app name, such as Word, Excel, and so on.

See this article for more information and the resolution.

Can't open or save files after upgrading to windows 10

This issue will be fixed in an update soon. In the meantime, please try one of the workarounds here.

Error: (0X8004FC12) We are sorry, something went wrong and we can't do this for you right now. Please try again later

When you try to activate Office after upgrading to Windows 10, you might receive this error. Try one of the workarounds here to resolve the issue.

How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365

If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend installing Office before upgrading to Windows 10. See this article for more information.

“Time to get your new Office” doesn’t allow you to upgrade your Office Mobile apps

When you try to update your Office Mobile apps, the Upgrade Now button in the Time to get your new office prompt doesn't upgrade the app. See this article for the resolution.

Error: "You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

You may receive this error while trying to save your Office files. Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:

1. Press the Windows key on the keyboard and R.

2. Type Netplwiz and press Enter.

3. Select the User account that you're having this problem with.

4. Select Properties, and then the Group Membership tab.

5. Select Administrator, then click OK twice.

6. Sign out and sign back in.

Outlook Send/Receive error: 0x800CCC13 after upgrading to Windows 10

After upgrading Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, Outlook fails to send email, and you receive this error: User account – Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC13): ‘Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem. See this article for more information and the workaround.

Unable to access PST File or start Outlook after upgrading to Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10, Outlook 2013 might fail to open, and you receive this error: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files\filename.pst. See this article for more information and resolution.

Business Contact Manager (BCM) crashes after upgrading to Windows 10

BCM is dependent on the .Net framework for some of its features. After installing Windows 10, BCM may crash due to chart control issues during .Net registration. See this article for more information and the resolution.

You're prompted to specify Internet Explorer 11 as default browser when you click a link in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007

In Outlook 2010 or 2007, when you click a hyperlink to a Web page, you're prompted to specify the application to open the page. See this article for more information and resolution.

Office apps may crash when you try to open them after upgrading to Windows 10

If you use Avast Antivirus version 10.3.2225, and you upgrade to Windows 10, your Office apps may crash when you try to open them. If you're running Avast, try installing their R4 release here, which resolves the issue in most cases.

Can't print after upgrading to Windows 10

If you're not able to print your documents after upgrading to Windows 10, you may need to install new drivers for your printer, or run the printing troubleshooter to fix the issue. See this article for more information.

Forum Article Info

Last updated July 7, 2018 Views 3,671 Applies to:
I upgraded to windows 10 and cannot open files used by Office 365. If this is not corrected soon  I will drop Office 365 and go back to Office 8. Maybe I should switch to Apple where this kind of problem does not happen. How can Microsoft NOT know that Windows 10 and Office 365 will not work together??????
I purchased MS Office when I purchased my computer, I just upgraded to windows 10 the files are still there but office no longer works. 

We’re sorry about this, and appreciate you writing in about it. We have two regularly-updated documents that we think will help fix the issue for you.

Can you take a look, try what’s suggested, and let us know whether it worked?  

I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to Windows 10. Outlook would not start. Then it would not send or receive. Then contacts were gone. Now it will not filter junk mail and it marks all email as read before it is read. I spoke with 10 people today. Each one asked for my info, then said how sorry they are that I am having an issue but they need to transfer me to another person. My final solution to this problem is to dump outlook and move to Thunderbird. 

I have tried ALL of the suggestions -- I've deleted the printer, reloaded it, reloaded drivers, and still no print from Office 365  apps. 

HELP -- getting desperate

MalindaCaywood,

Very sorry that you're experiencing these printer issues. Would you mind posting in the Outlook forum so we see how many other people might be having the same issue? This page covers all the Windows 10 and Office issues and other customers may not come here for specific questions like yours.

Best,

-Erik 

Microsoft The Edge is no longer working.  It loads but after a few seconds just quits and give you back the Windows 10 Pro Desktop.   We have removed all the Content from the Edge directories and re-installed using Powershell with the Get-AppXPackage ...... command.  We can always use Windows 7 or Firefox as a Browser but The Edge does things in Windows operating system and info on this seems to be a secret.