Error "Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe"

Original title: It's there but it's not there (Windows 10) 

Everything was fine up until now, I was scanning my laptop using the windows defender and suddenly there's a window telling me to restart my laptop to complete the scan so I restarted it. After restarting it my skype won't work anymore neither my google chrome, it says something about whitelist firewall (it couldn't connect to internet) but I can't find any.

Hi,

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• What is the exact error message that you getting?

• When do you get the error message?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It says "Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe" everytime I tried to install my google chrome (it somewhat uninstalled (not in the uninstall window) but still there after windows defender told me to restart my laptop).

225 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As it is clearly mentioned in the error as “whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe”, I suggest you to please contact Google support.

Download and install Google Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?hl=en

If you still face any issues, you can post the issue on Google Chrome Support Forum.

Google Chrome Forum

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/chrome/windows

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it's not just google chrome, all applications that I oftenly use including Skype cannot connect to the internet, I don't know why but only Microsoft Edge could connect.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to go through the methods below and check.

Method 1: Turn Off the firewall.

Refer to the Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the same Microsoft help article.

Steps applies to Windows 10.

Note: Firewall can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable the firewall. If you have to temporarily turn it off, you should turn it on as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your firewall if off, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Perform SFC scan

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link:  Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Windows 8.1 steps applies to Windows 10. 

Please reply us with these information and the current status of your computer we will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Refer to the Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the same Microsoft help article.

Note: Firewall can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable the firewall. If you have to temporarily turn it off, you should turn it on as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your firewall if off, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link:  Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Please reply us with these information and the current status of your computer we will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

I am facing the same problem with some application, the same google firewall whitelist pop up and few other applications also stopped working. I tried everything but the issue does not resolved. I run sfc scan today and it says no violation or missing/corrupted fine. I got this problem after my windows 10 update to 1511 (10586 OS)

I cant reinstall google chrome

utorrent also stopped working

please help me

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

I am facing the same problem with some application, the same google firewall whitelist pop up and few other applications also stopped working. I tried everything but the issue does not resolved. I run sfc scan today and it says no violation or missing/corrupted fine. I got this problem after my windows 10 update to 1511 (10586 OS)

I cant reinstall google chrome

utorrent also stopped working

please help me

Well, my friends said that this was caused by a virus which cannot be found or cleaned by windows defender, since I can't fix this problem I did a factory reset and it works, just need to download windows 10 again. If you still can't fix this problem I suggest you to also do a factory reset, a recovery won't do, but remember to backup your data first maybe to Data (D:)

Sorry this didn't help.

unable connect to the Internet. If you use firewall please wishlist googleupdate.exe 

no solution I try for more than 1.5 hours

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am facing same problem.. just install anti malware or malware  bytes scan your computer then it will fix automatic   

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 27, 2020 Views 26,122 Applies to: