Microsoft Print to PDF not working

Hi All

Just updated to Windows 10, and noticed that the built in PDF printer in ProgeCAD doesn't work anymore (another issue), so I decided to try using the Microsoft Print to PDF function. Unfortunately, the PDF file it creates has a file size of 0 and won't open in any program (says its corrupted). Any help would be appreciated as I can no longer save any drawings as PDFs and I'm regretting upgrading to WIndows 10.

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

This issue might appear due to the corrupted system files. I suggest you to perform the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC Scan

I suggest you to run SFC Scan and check if it resolves the issue.

Click on, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Check if it helps.

If the issue persists, create a new local account and try changing the color scheme and check if it helps.

Method 2: Create a local account

I suggest you to refer the following link and follow the procedure.

Click on, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Printer issue:

Run Print/hardware Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Hardware Troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Printer. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel

• Run the Hardware and devices.

Check if it helps.

I hope the issue will be resolved. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I find that the "Microsoft print to pdf" feature in Windows 10 will create a "corrupted file" if the file name you enter in step 2 of the process is longer than about 12 characters.  If one observes this limit the output file can be read with the "Reader" app built in to Win 10.  The file can then be renamed with any otherwise acceptable length name without making it unreadable.

Another issue I have found with the MS print to pdf function is that the resulting documents are protected and cannot be marked or copied, say by a word or phrase, as can most pdf documents.  This means quotes, etc. have to be re-keyed in your new document.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ISSUE: Microsoft Print to PDF creates unusable PDF files.

The file created has a file size of 0

When you try to open it using Foxit Reader you get this message:
                Format error: Not a PDF or corrupted.

When you try to open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, you get this message:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open .... because it is either not a supported file type
               or because the file has been damaged ...

WORKAROUND: Avoid using a comma in the file name. This problem consistently happens when the file name contains a comma. I’m not sure if there are other characters that cause this problem, and should also be avoided. However, I tested the following characters and they did not cause this problem:  $ . _  - ( ) space

The long file names (much longer than 12 characters) I tested worked OK, so long as they did not contain a comma.

However, files with a very long path+file name, even ones that did not contain a comma, resulted in file size of 0.

As another point of reference. the Print to… option “Save to PDF” added by Microsoft Office 2016, handles comma in file name without the problem discussed above. I’m not sure if this Print to option is provided by earlier versions of Office.

CooperDon said the following, and I found this to be true also:
Another issue I have found with the MS print to pdf function is that the resulting documents are protected and cannot be marked or copied, say by a word or phrase, as can most pdf documents.  This means quotes, etc. have to be re-keyed in your new document.

Another thing that surprised me (I would call this a limitation) is that Microsoft Print to PDF turns hyperlinks into text.

SOLUTION: I have installed Foxit Reader, and find Foxit Reader PDF Printer is working good for me.

Hope someone finds this helpful, and hope Microsoft reads this and fixes this problem.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found that instead of the "Print to PDF" option working (does nothing), that I was able to perform a "Save As' (at least from MS Word 2016 - Office 365) and save it as a PDF.  Not sure that option will work with your CAD software or not..  Good luck.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Run SFC and the link provided were a great help. My print to PDF and physical printers had stopped working after one of the umpteen windows 10 updates that are now literally being forced upon windows users. For a while I successfully switched back to a previous windows 10 version to keep using the print function. Then that choice was taken away by another forcible update and I was printerless for a month or more. I would use my tablet to print documents which was very inconvenient and not always workable (some of the new adobe pdf docs do not open on tablets. I had mostly given up on resolving the issue and was looking at buying new laptops when I found this. Thank you so much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2023 Views 9,958 Applies to: