Issue with installing VMware Workstation Pro for Windows

I am trying to install app name VMware workstation pro from edge but when i am running the setup,it shows me"an error occurred while attempting to create directory: C:\Users\Public\Desktop" please help��

Hey Guys, on you windows defender settings, under "ransomware production" you might have turned on "controlled folder access" turn it off and try installing vmware  

***Modified title from: vmware solution***

***Moved from: Windows Insider Program / Program announcements and registration***

Hi Karthick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For us to isolate the issue and to assist you further, we'd like to ask you a few questions.

1. Which version of VMware Workstation Pro for Windows are you trying to install?

2. What is the make and the model number of the computer?

The error might be due to permissions or user profile issue or due to Windows Defender preventing the folder to create.

Controlled folder access in Windows Security reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. Occasionally, an app that is safe to use will be identified as harmful. This happens because Microsoft wants to keep you safe and will sometimes err on the side of caution; however, this might interfere with how you normally use your PC. You can add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked. Refer this article on Allow a blocked app in Windows Security to turn off the controlled folder access and check.

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you to create another user account and retry the installation. Refer this article on Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10 and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 672 Applies to: