App Display issues with windows 10

Here is the challenge.  A number of apps seem to have really small, small windows/fonts. I have tried to adjust the size using the display settings, customer fonts, etc, but that just makes other things bigger which causes a different problem. I have shown a screen that contrasts something like outlook vs one of my other apps.  The following screen in contrast to outlook which is shown is barely legible.  Same problem happens with SQL Server also attached below. Even when I expand them the buttons are still messed up.  I have not been able to figure out how to get my apps and dialogues to behave like they did prior to windows 10 upgrade. 

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description you are facing issue with fonts which get messed up.   

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• Whether your computer is connect to a Domain?

I would Suggest you to try these steps if the computer is not connected to a Domain.

In Windows 10, you can now set DPI (Dots per Inch) scaling to make text and other items, such as icons, fonts, and windows, to display larger or smaller for all displays or per-display.

Windows 10 DPI scaling improvements are primarily focused on:

•Optimizing the usability and readability of high-DPI displays
•Providing a uniform experience multi-display systems
•Empowering developers to optimize app-specific scaling based on display DPI

If you are running a screen resolution of 1366x768 on a tablet, chances are that UI will look good at 100% DPI settings. But what about when you connect your system to an external high resolution display? In Windows 8 you can choose either 100% to optimize the UI on the tablet display or up to 150% to optimize the UI on the external display. You have to compromise.

Windows 10 takes care of this issue by supporting per-display DPI scaling to address. By default, Windows 8.1 will choose the optimum DPI scaling value for each display based on the value chosen for overall scaling in the control panel.

You can change Modern UI text size by following the steps provided below.
•Press Windows key
•Click on Settings.
•Click on System.
•Click on Display.
•Now change the font size according to your choice.

Also refer these Microsoft articles:

Get the best display on your monitor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/make-text-screen-larger-smaller/?v=t

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you
Ravindra R Kamath
Microsoft Community

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate the input.   Not I tried changing the things you suggested, but none of them work.  Thought some items did get bigger, some icons and such, things like right click in SSMS on a table a select show properties still looks like the one I posted above and the mirth connector and other items like that still remained the same size.  I tried 

• Change the size of text, apps and other items  (This option in some cases made other items too large and had no affect on the problem I outlined)
  • Advanced settings - tried changing only the text size and that had no impact.
  • Cleartype - I tried it with it on and off, thinking that would impact it, nothing. 

None of the above helped.  Note the mirth is a java application and so it could be related to java and windows 10.

But the SSMS properties windows I posted above is a Microsoft tool and even that the buttons and window is not right. I can expand that windows and the buttons still remain messed up like that. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any response with microsoft regarding about this? I am experiencing the same thing with my sql server 2012. I am using a Lenovo yoga pro 900 and when i run sql, its exactly what it is in the pictures above. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

The issue could be related to Display drivers then please try the steps provided to uninstall the Display Adapter from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand the Display Adapter section.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
  • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
  • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
  • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
  • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the response, I did  the steps that you mentioned and it didnt work. I obtained the display drivers straight from my manufacturer(lenovo) and uninstalled it from device manager and programs and features from control panel. Then I installed the driver that i downloaded from lenovo, but its still the same results. It turns out that the driver from lenovo's website isnt the latest one as well, so I updated the driver software automatically thru device manager, results are still the same, SQL server is still messed up. Any other solutions to this issue?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried that as well with no luck.  Same issue also.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ruth,

So that screenshot that I took was from my lenovo yoga 900. I returned that laptop in exchange for a Dell XPS 13. I installed SQL server as well and its the same issue. So it seems like its not a display driver issue at all. That lenovo yoga and this Dell xps both have a 3200x1800 resolution. It seems like its a windows issue, coz im trying to run Bluestacks app player as well, and the texts are messed up too. Hoping for a solution from this

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting something similar with SSMS, Surface, and Windows 10.  All was good until the most recent Windows update ran. (Was this a coincidence?  I don't know)  Either the Security Update for Adobe Flash Player on 4/12/2016 or KB3147458 on 4/13/2016.  Ever since then some of the text in SSMS is messed up.  For instance, the query window is unchanged, but the font of the results and results tab got really big.  I was able to change the font for the results within SSMS options, thankfully.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue in SQl server 2014, did your problem got fixed? please post the solution here

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Praveen,

We would like to know if you're able to check and perform the suggested steps above? This is for us to know the next course of action we need to take.

We will be waiting for your response.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2022 Views 3,707 Applies to: