Paperport 14.5 Compatibility Error Message

I have been using PaperPort 14.5 since upgrading to Windows 10over 2 years ago.  My last time using the program for scanning was on December 29, 2017.  I tried opening the program on December 30, 2017 and I received a message box saying:

PaperPort appears to be running in XP compatibility mode which will result in errors.  We recommend disabling Compatibility Mode for the Paperport.exe program, see Technote 6629.

When I closed out this box the program would exit.   I uninstalled the program and reinstalled the program.  I checked the Compatibility Mode and nothing was checked.  I even tried checking Windows 8 compatibility mode, etc and none of them changed the message I received.

How can I get Paperport to work again?  I am very lost without it. 

Is this because of a windows update that cannot be uninstalled?  I even tried uninstalling the windows updates since Dec 30 that could be uninstalled.  There was 1 update that could not be uninstalled.

Queenie1Pagliuca

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Answer
Answer

Problem solved today.  I uninstalled Paperport, ran a registry cleaner (System Mechanic), reinstalled Paperport 14, then ran the Paperport 14.5.  Now it opens without any error message.  My registry was very bloated and full of garbage files.  I hope this helps others.  

Queenie

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Glad you solved your problem. I had the same issue with a client's computer and google found this solution.  http://rmfconsulting.blogspot.com/2015/01/paperport-14-appears-to-be-running-xp.html

I only deleted the single key that referenced Paperport rather than the entire Layers key at this location: •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

It worked!

Set a Restore Point/back up your registry before attempting modifications. Do not attempt this procedure if you are uncomfortable or unsure about working in your Registry...... consult a professional.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2021 Views 7,065 Applies to: