Windows 10, Media Player 12, Burning Audio CD "An Error Occurred" details states "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc."

When burning an Audio CD using CD-R or CD-RW I am getting an error from windows media player 12.

"Windows Media Player cannot burn some of the files.  To investigate the problem, click the icon next to the files in the burn list."

Software installed on system is

• Windows 10 build 1803 (x64)
  • Media Player 12.0.17134.81
  • Nero 2018 Platinum

Using a LG model WH16NS40 drive and Magnavox 52x 700MB 80min disc.  My C: drive is a Samsung 500 GB 850 SSD that contains my library of MP3 files.  My paging file is managed by the system on a RAID 0 drive D:  comprised of 3 Samsung 1 TB 850 SSD drives.  Intel i7 7820X CPU and 128 Gigs of RAM.

Steps to reproduce,

1. Open Media player
  2. Select enough MP3's in your library to fill the disc (I was using 700 MB discs)
  3. Add them to a new bun list in Media Player
  4. Insert a CD into drive. (tried both CD-R and CD-RW with same results)
  5. From the "Burn" tab in Media Player I selected the "Start Burn" button
  6. I immediately was given an error message:
    1. "Windows Media Player cannot burn some of the files.  To investigate the problem, click the icon next to the files in the burn list."
  7. Changed to optical drive letter (mine is drive E:) in media player.  Status in media player stated "An Error Occurred"
  8. Selected the red X next to file.  It said the following:
    1. "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc."
  9. Press the "Start burn" again and now different files from the same list are causing the error.  Never gets to processing the files for the burn
  10. Keep pressing "Start Burn" until it works and no errors are reported. No changes of the audio files just clicked the "Start Burn" button.

Burn options in Media player are:

• General
    • Burn Speed - Slow
  • Audio CDs
    • Apply volume leveling across tracks - CHECKED
    • Burn CD without gaps - CHECKED
  • Data Discs
    • Add a list of all burned files to the disk in this format: - M3U
    • Use media information to arrange files in folders on the disc - CHECKED

I have a video of the this process to back up what I'm reporting YouTubeLink

The problem is when I have a large selection of files I want to burn to multiple Audio discs, I have to "baby sit" the process and only process enough files to fill one disc (multiple discs won't retry just moves onto the next set of files).  A burn of multiple discs is a nightmare using Windows Media player and is as pleasant as backing up a 1 TB drive to floppies.

I've seen other posts about un-installing media player (did that), defrag the hard drive (SSD try again), Clean the CD lens, CD's are old technology (really!!!, an excuse I seen on this forum from another user).  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-media-player-wont-burn-cds/ee7bf79e-1000-4c38-9259-d8eaf71dee1c 

Please fix Media Player so it won't error out on files that are obviously not the problem.  I've been using Media Player since version 10. I've tried others and they either focus on doing too much, poorly or don't have this ability to burn a playlist as easily at Media Player.

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 2,694 Applies to:
Press Windows key + R
Type: control
Hit Enter
Open Troubleshooting
Open Programs
Open Windows Media Player Library

Complete the wizard, restart then check if its working.

If not...

You can try uninstall then reinstall it to see if it helps.

Press Windows key + R
Type: optionalfeatures.exe
Hit Enter

Expand Media Features
Uncheck Media Player

Click OK

Restart if prompted

Press Windows key + R
Type: optionalfeatures.exe
Hit Enter

Expand Media Features
Check Media Player

Click OK

Restart if prompted
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Already did the uninstall then re-install dance.  Didn't fix it

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1803, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Spring Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started.
or
Press Control + Alt + Delete
Click Sign out

At the Sign In screen, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

Windows Update might attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 1803 again. See instructions how to block it:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response.  I upgraded to get past a different issue.  I will have to live with this for now on this release since down grading isn't an option at the moment.  I can get by with a little pain.  Just hope it gets fixed as this build matures.

Again, Thanks for the response.

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome Dale.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.