How I fixed problems downloading Forza Horizon 3 from Microsoft Store

Hi all! I created this guide to let you know how I finally solved the problem of downloadind FH3 from Microsoft Store.

Disclaimer: I'm an italian guy, so apologize for my bad english. 

I bought the Forza Bundle Pack, including FH3 + Hot Wheels DLC
FH3 won't download from Microsoft Store, I got code 0x80070490, 0x80073CF9 and others starting with 0xnumbers... In my case the Hot Wheels DLC has been downloaded and installed correctly, but without the main game i wasn't able to use it. 
I followed lot of guides and forums and tried 'wsreset.exe' and other commands, but none of them solved my problem.

1. Follow this guide from start to minute 4.00- https://youtu.be/ozkO5OJXC8o -. I know it is for FM7, but it works with FH3 too! The size of the game will be around 55gb instead of 95gb in the video.

2. Once downloaded don't rename the file, just copy it in your C or D driver (or other if you have) in a folder called "fh3". Your path now should be "C:\fh3\namefile.EAppX" (My file name was Microsoft.OpusPG.numbers.EAppX)

3. Go to Windows PowerShell Admin (right click on START button) and paste this code: Add-AppXpackage C:\fh3\namefile.EAppX 
Just change directory from 'C' to your directory.

If it works go to n.5, but if you get some issue (like me) you have to do other 2 steps

4a. Go to C:\Programs\WindowsApps (this directory is hidden, you have to enable the view of the hidden folders https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/) and search for a folder called like the EAppx file you downloaded before. (Ex. my directory was Microsoft.OpusPG.numbers). Delelte that folder. 
4b. Right click on START button and select "Run". Write this: %AppData%. In this folder search (using search button) if there's some Forza pack (Ex i searched "Forza Horizon" and i found 2 items). Check if they are not packages from your graphic card or something important (like your saves or other files) and delete them.
4c. On START search "App and Functionalities", open it and uninstall Forza Horizon 3 (if installed) and other dlcs (Ex. I had to uninstall Hot Wheels DLC)
4d. Do n.3

5. Wait for the installation (it takes from 30 min to 2 hours ca.). Now on START (Without opening Microsoft Store), search for "Forza Horizon" and you should find the icon. Open it. Now it should work. You can now download dlcs if you have bought them, without downloading the entire game!
5a. To play the game use START icon without opening Microsoft Store, or it will retry to download FH3.

6. If you downloaded a pirate version before and now you can't access, you have to follow this tutorial - https://youtu.be/DTaQFJQbNws - and follow the instruction of this comment. "At 0:25, after clicking "reset", reload horizon until you get to the screen that says "press ENTER to start", but DON'T press enter yet. MINIMIZE or ALT+TAB out of the game, then go to your network settings and disable your ethernet/wifi connection. this is to TEMPORARILY prevent the game from syncing with the cloud. 
go back to the game and press ENTER to start. try to do this step quickly. if you don't, you might get an error about failing to download updates, in which case you'll have to start over =(
when the opening sequence starts, CLOSE the game.
go back to your network settings and re-enable your ethernet/wifi connection (congratulations! you survived a minute without the internet)
reload horizon again and it should ask if you want to use the data on the device or the one in the cloud. choose "the one on this device (newer)"
click "continue" to start a new game :)" from silentg

I hope this tutorial will help you.
If you have problems let me know!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 10,078 Applies to: