Quicken 2016 won't start unless accessing as: "run as Administrator" on Windows 10

I installed Quicken 2016 on my SP3, but it won't open unless I "run as Administrator." There is no error message when I try to open it regularly. I am the only user and am logged on as Administrator. Quicken 2015 worked just fine. I am running build 10586.14 version 1511. Quicken support seems to think it is a Windows 10 issue.

Original title: Quicken 2016 won't start

If you can't Quicken in then Quicken out hee hee.*john
mine...I'm out-of date.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing Quicken 2016 on Windows 10, do let us know the following to assist you better:

1. Is this issue confined only with Quicken 2016 application?
  2. How have you installed this application?
  3. Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software of your system?
  4. Do let us know if your administrator account is a Microsoft account?

As a basic troubleshooting, I suggest you to disable the anti-virus software if any installed and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the User Account Settings.

1. Press Windows key, type user account control, select Change User Account Control settings.
  2. Set notification to Never notify, click Ok and follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: This issue might have also occurred due to compatibility issues on Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall the program, download from the manufacturer's website and try to install it in compatible mode on Windows 10.

Steps to uninstall.

1. Press Windows + x key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.
  2. Select Programs and Features.
  3. Right click on Quicken 2016 application.
  4. Select Uninstall,

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

1. Download the updated application from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right click the application installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
  4. Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.
  5. Try installing the application and check.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue with required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, the issue also has happened with iTunes, but I haven't had any response to that inquiry. To answer your other questions:

I have installed Quicken as a straight install - it wouldn't open; I installed in compatibility mode - it wouldn't open; I installed it using install as administrator - it open but I receive the error message that the program might not work properly.

I have AVG Internet Security installed, but it was disabled every time I installed Quicken, so that's not the problem.

I am the administrator on this account -  it is a MS account.

User Account Control setting is already set to never notify.

I have already uninstalled Quicken (even using Quicken's uninstall program) multiple times and as stated above, have tried to install the program in all the ways available to me. Compatibility mode does not work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For me, Quicken is in the tray at the bottom, but won't open the program.

I've deleted, reinstalled, mondo-patch, several times, administrator, troubleshooter....hours with quicken tech and microsoft tech.

My Solution: create a new microsoft account (xxx.outlook.com) on my computer (only for quicken) and so far this is working.

Also, Quicken is working fine on my Surface with Window 10 with my original Microsoft account (xxx.msn.com).

This is really annoying!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

reinstalling the program solves the issue....UNTIL it wants to update....then it won't open because it says my settings won't allow it to open. All my settings are set to allow....nothing. So I have no choice but to open it in Admin mode. The problem there is that it won't let me back anything up.....very frustrating.  Quicken says it's a windows issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2022 Views 4,494 Applies to: