No voice in guided navigation in the Maps app

We have been seeing multiple reports about the Maps app no longer providing voice instructions when starting turn-by-turn directions. If you're hitting this issue please check the following:

1. To start voice navigation make sure you hit the 'Go' button on a route after you get directions
  2. Voice navigation will only be provided if the app sees an accurate location fix from GPS and detects the location moving. You should see the instructions at the top updating as you move through the route. If your location is not moving on the map and the instructions are not changing as you move it is possible the app is not seeing a GPS fix, the latest versions of the app should show a No GPS Signal message at the bottom of the screen. You can also try checking other apps or outside of guided to see if your location is being displayed and updates properly.
  3. Check the media volume on your phone. To do so, press the volume up button and then expand the volume control to check the volume for media + apps. The voice instructions are controlled by that slider and not the ringtone one.
  4. Voice instructions can be muted in the Maps app and the app will remember your preference so double check the instructions are not muted. To do so, when you're in the turn-by-turn screen tap on the ... menu at the bottom. You should see a mute/unmute button, toggle it to make sure it's not muted.
  5. Sometimes connection to certain Bluetooth devices can cause issues. If you're connected to a Bluetooth device, try disconnecting it (or turning Bluetooth off on your phone) temporarily and see if that lets you hear the voice instructions.
  6. We released some changes on how voice instructions are handled in the Maps app on the latest update so make sure you have version 5.1611 or higher.

If after checking for the above you're still unable to hear voice instructions in the Maps app please reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Your OS version
  2. Your Maps app version
  3. What language are you running the OS in?
  4. What language are you running the Maps app in? If you're not sure share the list of languages you have set on your language list from top to bottom.
  5. Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled?
  6. Do you see your location updating on the map when you're in guided navigation?
  7. Can you hear any other sounds from the Maps app in guided (e.g. speed limit alert or beeps when an instruction is near)?
  8. Are you connected to any Bluetooth device?

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2019 Views 3,709 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

version: 1511

maps 5.1606.1670.0

English

English

Cortana disabled

Location updates on the map during guided navigation

No other sounds

No, not connected to Blue tooth device

Lumia 950 Dual Sim running Windows 10 Mobile

Build 10.0.10586.494

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The team is actively investigating this issue.

Newer versions of the app are available for devices in the Insider Fast ring. Once we have confirmed the fix we'll make sure it is pushed to everyone so you can get voice instructions back. We know how important it is to have them for being guided without distractions while driving.

- Analy
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The team is actively investigating this issue.

Newer versions of the app are available for devices in the Insider Fast ring. Once we have confirmed the fix we'll make sure it is pushed to everyone so you can get voice instructions back. We know how important it is to have them for being guided without distractions while driving.

Hi Analy,

Do you know if this new version of Windows maps (5.1607.1831.0) will be available in anniversary updated?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your OS version
1511 - 10.0.10586.494
Your Maps app version
5.1606.1670.0 - Voice Nav was working but sometime in June it stopped working
What language are you running the OS in?
English (Canada)
What language are you running the Maps app in? If you're not sure share the list of languages you have set on your language list from top to bottom.
Assuming English (Canada) as that is the only language on my phone
Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled?
Enabled
Do you see your location updating on the map when you're in guided navigation?
Yes
Can you hear any other sounds from the Maps app in guided (e.g. speed limit alert or beeps when an instruction is near)?
Only Speed limit alert
Are you connected to any Bluetooth device?
Tried with and without Bluetooth on

Sorry this didn't help.

We will definitely push the latest app update to the anniversary update OS once it is available. As with the OS the team flights app updates to insiders and based on telemetry and feedback we decide to push it further (or wait until we fix some newly identified issues) so you may not exactly see that build number but you should see a newer one.
- Analy
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I'm having the same issue.On my Lumia 950

maps version 5.1606.1670.0

OS version 10.0.1586.494

I'm running maps in english(Australian)

Cortana is enabled

YES my location updates when in guided navigation

NO I don't hear any other sounds coming from my phone during guided navigation

Sorry this didn't help.

We will definitely push the latest app update to the anniversary update OS once it is available. As with the OS the team flights app updates to insiders and based on telemetry and feedback we decide to push it further (or wait until we fix some newly identified issues) so you may not exactly see that build number but you should see a newer one.

Hi it looks like Anniversary update is not coming anytime soon. Whats the plan for the map, its more than two months that voice navigation is not working. Voice navigation is one of the essential feature of any smartphone. I was hoping that anniversary update will fix this but there is no release date or plan communicated to us.

Regards,

Sandeep

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I just purchased a Lumia 950 from AT&T. When connected to our Honda CR-V 2015 over Bluetooth Maps does not provide any audible direction (but it works when not connected to the car)
  1. Your OS version: 10.0.10586.545
  2. Your Maps app version: 5.1606.1670.0
  3. What language are you running the OS in? US English
  4. What language are you running the Maps app in? If you're not sure share the list of languages you have set on your language list from top to bottom: Unsure. Assuming US English
  5. Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled? Enabled
  6. Do you see your location updating on the map when you're in guided navigation? Yes
  7. Can you hear any other sounds from the Maps app in guided (e.g. speed limit alert or beeps when an instruction is near)? Not sure
  8. Are you connected to any Bluetooth device? Yes Honda CR-V 2015

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I used to have Voice Nav at the beginning of Windows Mobile 10, even with English (Australia) as the only speech, but with both the app and OS updating for a while now, it has stopped.

1. Device: Lumia 950XL
  2. Your OS version: 10.10586.545 (Awaiting AU)
  3. Your Maps app version: 5.1606.1670.0
  4. What language are you running the OS in?: English (Australia)
  5. What language are you running the Maps app in? If you're not sure share the list of languages you have set on your language list from top to bottom: In case MS decided not to support Australia yet, which would make me mad, I downloaded English (US) in speech only but Australia is set as default. The Language Section has no others, Keyboard and Speech Sections has Australia and US
  6. Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled?: Enabled
  7. Do you see your location updating on the map when you're in guided navigation?: Yes
  8. Can you hear any other sounds from the Maps app in guided (e.g. speed limit alert or beeps when an instruction is near)?: No
  9. Are you connected to any Bluetooth device?: Usually Bluetooth in Car as driving, but have tried no Bluetooth.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I used to have Voice Nav at the beginning of Windows Mobile 10, even with English (Australia) as the only speech, but with both the app and OS updating for a while now, it has stopped.

1. Device: Lumia 950XL
  2. Your OS version: 10.10586.545 (Awaiting AU)
  3. Your Maps app version: 5.1606.1670.0
  4. What language are you running the OS in?: English (Australia)
  5. What language are you running the Maps app in? If you're not sure share the list of languages you have set on your language list from top to bottom: In case MS decided not to support Australia yet, which would make me mad, I downloaded English (US) in speech only but Australia is set as default. The Language Section has no others, Keyboard and Speech Sections has Australia and US
  6. Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled?: Enabled
  7. Do you see your location updating on the map when you're in guided navigation?: Yes
  8. Can you hear any other sounds from the Maps app in guided (e.g. speed limit alert or beeps when an instruction is near)?: No
  9. Are you connected to any Bluetooth device?: Usually Bluetooth in Car as driving, but have tried no Bluetooth.

Update:

My sister had other Windows Mobile 10 related bugs, including losing voice audio through earpiece speaker.

Has same Phone and such as me.

I got her to do a Hard Reset or Wipe Reset or simply Factory Reset.

I thought I would check out the Maps version after the reset and see if "English (Australia) only" would work and do the voice navigation.

Voice works on Maps Version: 4.1509.50912.0

I will wait for the Maps Update to come through and see if it stops working.

Update 2:

Phone updated to Maps Ver. 5.1606.1670.0 and voice stopped working.

Def a Bug.

Sorry this didn't help.