Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10

Oct 2019

An ongoing problem with windows 10 photo app and "Pictures" files: duplicate photos I have not asked for.

For example, I just imported photos from my iPhone and I have SEVEN (7) copies of each photo. The duplicates are in the pictures file, and in the photos app.

1) Why does this happen

2) How do I make it stop happening

3) Can I search for duplicate photos and tell the program to delete duplicates? (the program adds a number after the duplicate like this: original is IMG_6644.JPG   the copy is IMG_6644 (1).JPG.  The second copy is IMG_6644 (2).JPG , etc )

4) Does the program screen for duplicates so it will not import the same photo again? If not, this would be a good feature to add.

Please note that I did not request a duplicate; I did not try to move or do anything to the photos that would have caused this.

Thought: if an import fails, does it cause duplicates?

This is really annoying and keeps happening. I suspect there is a setting or software glitch somewhere that results in photos/pictures making unrequested copies.

|
Answer
Answer
Hi Inkweaver

Is is not easy to find and delete those duplicates from inside the Photos App

Open File Explorer and navigate to your Pictures Library folder

In the search box, paste this and hit Enter

"*(*"

That will find all the duplicate files and not the originals

When the search completes, press Ctrl + A to select all the duplicates, and press Delete, keep them for a day or so in the Recycle Bin, to make sure you have all your original image files . ..

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2021 Views 2,823 Applies to: