Windows 10 default photo app, saturates photos additionally when displaying.

Hi there,

Anyone else notices the Windows 10 default photo app additionally saturates photos when displaying, compared to other photo software, and browsers? Even when the option to "enhance photos" is switched off? 

It's a bit annoying as a photographer. If I end up sending photos to clients, and they view it on their Windows 10 PC, I don't want it to be extra saturated, since I work (calibrated) and specifically for proper viewing within the sRGB profile.

Regards,

Dennis

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it always saturates the photos, it just enhances them in whatever way looks best.  This happens regardless of whether auto-enhance is configured or not.

Photos seems to have two levels of this; one that you get whether you want it or not and the second when you use the Enhance feature in Edit (auto-enhance no longer works as far as I can tell).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Your reply seems to have disappeared; here's what I got:

Thanks for your reply. Personally I've noticed that with all the photos, compared to other apps, the default Windows photo app saturates them extra.

But my point is basically, however it "enhances" photos to make them look "best", is what shouldn't be happening, when the "enhancing" option is switched off.  It should then adhere to only the colour space (sRGB). It's there for a reason, devices adhering to it, iphones and apps, browsers.

The big question is whether Photos' Edit function produces an image that's the same on other people's machines.  As far as I can tell, we're safe there - the output looks the same on both Photos and FastStone.

That wouldn't make sense if saturation was consistently overdone so I suggest this experiment - using an alternate editor, increase saturation on an image until it matches what Photos shows.  Then open it with Photos.  When I do this the image is identical.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply.

Today I actually conducted my personal experiment, of comparing the saturation between photos being displayed in the browsers (Both Edge & Chrome) and other apps, on three different Windows 10 machines.

Turns out, not just the Photos app, but also Paint 3D and Edge, display the photos more saturated than Lightroom, Photoshop, and Chrome. Lightroom, Photoshop, and Chrome all three display photos less saturated than other apps, as I've now also measured. FastStone I've tried too, and it's indeed the same as the Photos app and FastStone.

So now I'm quite confused...I have to think what to do next...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another test you could do would be to compare different kinds of images.  With portraits I see very little difference in saturation except where the colors are less than optimal (although this is apparently explained by your observation that FastStone is similar to Photos).  

I get the impression that image manipulation is more art than science.  Try comparing the effects of "simple" controls like exposure and contrast.  You may have difficulty finding two products that produce the exact same result due to warming and cooling effects.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I agree things are very subjective when it comes to representation of photos, but this is a consisent issue I'm seeing, with all images, on different colour calibrated machines. Consistently Chrome, Photoshop and Lightroom are identical in their representation, other apps, extra saturated. Something is up with color management, and I have to figure out why and in which ways Chrome, Photoshop and Lightroom obviously handle colour profiling different than other apps.

I go and ask on the Adobe forums if they have any suggestions, and otherwise on Datacolor, the manufacturer of my calibration equipment. ..

Thanks for thinking with me, I appreciate it :)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 13, 2023 Views 1,708 Applies to: