Windows 10 Mail and People apps - Storage locations?

Has anyone figured out where the Mail app stores emails?

Where does the People app store contacts?

Answer
Answer

I was also wondering where to find the Mail app storage, but searches only turned up this thread and one or two others; none of the suggested locations quite did the trick, but I think I've now found what I was looking for.

Earlier today I was setting up a fresh Windows 10 install for a family member, and while running my usual backup software I noticed a tremendous number of files being copied from a certain directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Comms\Unistore\data

Beneath that I have a few subfolders, of particular interest '0', '3', and '7'. Inside each is yet another level of subdirectories, and then a series of .dat files. Don't quote me on the specifics of the layout, but at a glance '0' seems to contain accounts' email signatures, '3' is the emails themselves (accessible with ordinary text editors, even Notepad, despite the files' extension), and '7' is images. I'm not sure if those directory numbers will be different for other users, or if further use of the Mail app will reveal more types of data being stored (I imagine attachments have to get saved in there somewhere).

I'd personally prefer one large mbox file for the emails, to save some time during a network backup, or at least see Mail use the .eml format, but I've found my files, so I'm happy for the time being.

201 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2020 Views 79,837 Applies to: