Mail: Account already exists

Hi there,

I have a new windows 10 PC with the AU installed. The user account is not linked to a Microsoft account.

I decided this morning to try the Mail app instead of using OWA. (N.B. I have office 365 apps installed on the PC as well, including Outlook that is setup to use the same account, though I had been hoping to get rid of that if Mail works).

I opened up the Mail app from the windows menu which showed a blue screen and "Accounts. First things first. Let's add your accounts" with a "+ Add account" button. nothing else (i.e. no settings menus or anything else at all).

So I click the button and choose the ListItem marked "Exchange. Exchange, Office 365" and enter in my 365 email address when prompted. the click "Next". Whereupon a box shows that informs me that "Account already exists. There's already an account setup to use *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (company name)"

Particularly uninformative as how would one attempt to sign into an account that doesn't already exist?!

How can I correctly add my account?

(Note: I have seen a couple of related questions that recommend running a Powershell command with administrator rights. None of them however explained what the command actually does so I have been reluctant to apply it.)

Thanks, T

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2019 Views 16,650 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Type 'email account' in Windows search or the Settings app search box to find 'Add, remove or manage Email accounts'. When you click an account a Manage button comes up. Your Email account has probably already been setup there but not yet set to Sync (Email switch 'Off' in 'Change Mailbox sync settings') in which case Mail won't see it. Set it to 'On'.

http://tinyurl.com/EdgeBookmarkBackup

65 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.