How to delete an obsolete or incorrect email address in Windows 10 Mail

In Windows 10 mail, how do you delete an email address from the drop down list that pops up?  I've got both outdated and incorrectly spelled email addresses that pop up.  I've tried going in to People, but there's nothing there. 

In Outlook it was possible, but now with Mail, hitting delete does nothing.  Thanks for your help.

Hi Cindy,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in people app settings.

I suggest you to delete the unwanted contacts in the Windows People app, follow the below steps:

1. Type people in the search bar and select People to open Windows People app.

2. Search for the contact and then click on it.

3. Then click on three dots symbol and choose delete.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't work.  Remember, in one case there's not even a person in the People App, but rather an incorrectly typed in email address for another person.  The problem doesn't exist in the People App, but rather wherever Mail holds addresses to draw from. 

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

CindyBaudhu - Agree with you, THe obsolee contact do not appear in People app but lists in TO List as we type the name, for both obselete and new entry. Unless one is careful not to choose the right email id, obselete email id gets selected. for instance, shruthi.r(now obsolete) gets listed along with r.shruthi(renamed by company from shruthi.r), as the old email id already looked saved in outlook database somewhere(?) on the local hard drive(?). This obselete older entry popping up in the TO Line writing new emails needs deletion

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nyima Yonten , I do Agree with  CindyBaudhu - (Issue not resolved). The obsolete contact do not appear in People app but lists in TO List as we type the name, for both obsolete and new entry. Unless one is careful not to choose the right email id, obsolete email id gets selected. for instance, shruthi.r(now obsolete) gets listed along with r.shruthi(renamed by company from shruthi.r), as the old email id already looked saved in outlook database somewhere(?) on the local hard drive(?). This obsolete older entry popping up in the TO Line writing new emails needs deletion. Is there a way I could do this ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nyima Yonten , I do Agree with  CindyBaudhu - (Issue not resolved). The obsolete contact do not appear in People app but lists in TO List as we type the name, for both obsolete and new entry. Unless one is careful not to choose the right email id, obsolete email id gets selected. for instance, shruthi.r(now obsolete) gets listed along with r.shruthi(renamed by company from shruthi.r), as the old email id already looked saved in outlook database somewhere(?) on the local hard drive(?). This obsolete older entry popping up in the TO Line writing new emails needs deletion. Is there a way I could do this ?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm adding in here... this solution doesn't work and we need to have one. I have little patience for these addresses appearing.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2020 Views 15,710 Applies to: