windows 10 mail - delete email from server

Hi all

I have windows 10 now and I'm using the Mail app, now I use Hotmail for my email client always have done.

Now when I delete an email from windows Mail it doesn't seem to delete form the Hotmail when I login on the website.

can anybody tell me how I delete it form the server  using the windows mail app please I cannot see an option in the settings

Deleting is not enough, you have to make a sync afterward  and you will see the mail disappears from the deleted box as well as removed from the server. 

I personally prefer to empty my delete box manually just in case I want to take one mail back from mistake soon after.

Anyway, I didn't find any "remove or keep on the server" option in the settings. I understand Mail App isn't intended to be a very sophisticated mail client, but this option exists in the simplest ones. 

Let's say I keep some of my mails on my desktop PC, I then go travel with my laptop to get the last mails and..... I download first all the previous mails saved on my desktop where I have no "remove from server" option!!!!!

So far I have kept Live Mail on my desktop. 

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Deleting is not enough, you have to make a sync afterward  and you will see the mail disappears from the deleted box as well as removed from the server. 

I personally prefer to empty my delete box manually just in case I want to take one mail back from mistake soon after.

Anyway, I didn't find any "remove or keep on the server" option in the settings. I understand Mail App isn't intended to be a very sophisticated mail client, but this option exists in the simplest ones. 

Let's say I keep some of my mails on my desktop PC, I then go travel with my laptop to get the last mails and..... I download first all the previous mails saved on my desktop where I have no "remove from server" option!!!!!

I agree the older versions had the setting to remove from the server after a number of days.  I don't quite understand why they would do this. I just began using this as a possible email and do like it but still access my gmail account at work. This makes it very difficult if all of those are not deleting at the same time. A little frustrating. I am glad I was able to see this for myself prior to helping someone in my field of work which is Internet Help Desk were people call in for simple things like this. Maybe an update will be added soon.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all

I have windows 10 now and I'm using the Mail app, now I use Hotmail for my email client always have done.

Now when I delete an email from windows Mail it doesn't seem to delete form the Hotmail when I login on the website.

can anybody tell me how I delete it form the server  using the windows mail app please I cannot see an option in the settings

This was the first thing I went looking for after setting it up. Glad to know I wasn't alone out here. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem appears to be the reverse of what is stated here - I have a desktop, a laptop and an iPad all running POP email accounts and all configured to leave mail on the server. My wife just installed a new laptop running Windows 10 and let the mail app automatically configure intself as an IMAP account. Now when she deletes mail from the new laptop it also deleted from the server and I can't find a way in the setup procedure to change this to "leave mail on the server". Is the best way to solve this just to change the account to a POP account?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@barriehunter -- Actually IMAP is supposedly the preferred protocol for your situation (multiple devices checking the same email account).  I'm having trouble getting my Internet provider to NOT use POP AND the fact that the Win10 Mail client doesn't have the option to leave the messages on the server...  

Here's more info on the POP vs IMAP differences: http://www.pop2imap.com/

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for you insight.  So sad that something that even my Android phone has could not be incorporated into the Windows 10 mail program.  MS should be embarrassed that the ability to "delete from server after __ days" could not be included.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for this explanation.

That is so silly,especially that you can not sync all the accs you have in Windows mail at the same time,with only one click.

I have 9 various accs,and I have to manually sync each and every one of them.

Well done Micosoft !!!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 28,980 Applies to: