Changing the Default Account in Windows 10 Mail

Tried replying on the other thread but reply is disabled.

I would like to change the default account that is displayed in Windows 10 mail.  Reason being that the account that is currently the default is one that the Internet Service Provided kindly disabled for me when I discontinued service with them, so is no longer active.  I've seen workarounds posted suggesting to delete the account so that the remaining active account becomes the default, and then recreate the account and it will recreate as secondary.  This is no use to me, since I cannot recreate a discontinued account.

I thought maybe I could back up my email from that account and restore the backup.  I have now discovered that backing up email in Windows 10 is not possible, unless I want to save each of my 7,434 emails messages one by one using the 'Save As' function.  I estimate that would take me about a year.  I don't want to lose the emails.  Simple things become an annoyance, such as I have a number of unsent messages in the outbox because I forgot to move from the default account to my new active account, I can't move the email to another email client like outlook because there is no export or backup and restore function.

I feel like I am held hostage here.  Does anyone else share this frustration or am I typing into a void.

* Moved from update, recovery & backup

You can add a new account and use it as your preferred account but you can't change the default if it's associated with the Microsoft account you use to sign in to Windows. [Just guessing that might be the case.]

You can link two or more inboxes so all of your messages appear in one inbox.

If you don't want to lose your old emails, don't delete the old account.

You won't be able to SEND the emails in your Outbox using the new account. If they're important messages, you'll have to compose new ones using the new account then send them.

Cite:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 21,612 Applies to: