Microsoft Edge will not connect to internet

When I first boot the computer Microsoft Edge connects to the internet.  If I close the Edge window but open it later in the session without re-booting all I will get is a blank Edge screen.  If I put a web address or a subject in the search box I get no response.  Nor can I close the Edge screen.  I can open another application over it but it will not close.  In the meantime Outlook functions as it should.  The only way I can get to the net is to re-boot.

What is going on here (I had no problems connecting to the net before downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade). And please phase your response for a simple minded person.  I am not a techie.

Thanks,

Dave

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2020 Views 1,946 Applies to:

Related Forums

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the issue is particular to Microsoft Edge or with other browsers also.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below:

Method 1: Run SFC (System File Checker) scan.

1. Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
  2. Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
  3. After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: DISM TOOL:

1. On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow).
  2. Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” (Without quotes).

For more information about DISM click on the link below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your suggestions however either helped.  The  SFC scan yielded no problems and the DISM tool comes back with Error 87 saying DISM is unknown.

Any other suggestions?  My computer is a HP less than 6 months old and came with windows 10.  I had no problems until I downloaded the 10 upgrade.  This is very inconvenient and seems to be a software problem.

I would like to use Edge but have changed my default browser in Internet Explored which functions perfectly.  Any other ideas as to what is wrong with Edge?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Thank you for updating on the status. 

I suggest you to create another user account and check if the issue persists in the new account.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

as usual, they put an untested piece of **** out there... I am having similar problems... system shuts down every night, don't know why. ok. so I log in..... and get the you are not connected message...  even though elsewhere I can see I have internet connection, this piece of **** just can't find it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been working on computers for over 25 years.  This is the biggest mess.  I lost Edge and have not been able to reload or reprogram it.  I tried opening a new user...nada.  Not happy.  Many programs install ONLY  access the internet using Edge.  Now I got nothing.  What now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Did anyone figure out the problem with Microsoft edge no longer working.  I have a newer HP computer and the upgraded windows 10!  Suddenly edge stopped working.  Help Please!

Sorry this didn't help.