mhtml format not opening in EDGE

Original Title: mhtml format

I upgraded to Windows 10 - not a clean upgrade, I kept my existing documents/settings. The upgrade went smoothly. I got the new browser Edge, but of course kept Internet Explorer as well. I am more than disappointed that I am unable to use any file that "I" create as my personal homepage. I had designed a page in Word and saved it as an .mhtml file and had my Internet Explorer open with that. I am sure that I am not the only person in the Microsoft Universe to have done this as it really simplifies one's navigations. Microsoft Edge will not permit me to do this. I understand that it is a work in progress. Is this option being considered for the future?

So, Microsoft experts, what are my options. How can I solve this for now? I have a website of my own. If I create a page purely for my own use, would that work? Or is there another format that I can use?

Thank you

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2019 Views 2,896 Applies to:

Hi Mary,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

You should be able to open .MHT files using Internet Explorer itself. This could be a file association issue, you may try to re-associate the file extension to Internet Explorer and check if that helps.

Again, few more details we need to know to understand the issue better. They are as follows.

• What happens when you open a .mht file?
  • Any errors which you receive?
  • Also, have you tried the File > Open menu in Internet Explorer?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to refer to the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Fix site display problems with Compatibility View

Refer to the article below:

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View

Method 2:

Step 1:Reset IE would help you fixing this issue. Follow the below article to know how to reset IE to its default settings.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

Step 2:This also could be because of user profile corruption. Create a new user account and try opening the website from there.

I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to Set up accounts on Windows 10 article.

Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As far as I can tell you can just save an opened web archive with IE to it's component parts again on your desktop. You can then launch the resultant .htm file in Edge. Or save it anywhere else and have a shortcut on your desktop referencing that location/file.

http://tinyurl.com/EdgeBookmarkBackup

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, somehow the title was wrong. I cannot open .mhtml in EDGE. That is what I want to do. In the meantime I have to use I.E.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, so obviously you are not flexible and therefor need to keep using IE.

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I am not flexible. I want to be able to design something that works for me, not have to puddle along with something that doesn't assemble what I want. The customer is always right. I don't need a product. I need tools. If I have to, I will design a new webpage on my website which will be for my eyes only and will do what I want, but there are many who do not know how to design a webpage, but who could create a document in Word with their links in whatever assemblage they would like. Very disappointing.

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I am not flexible.        

From your comments I deduce that you didn't even bother to read my comment.

You don't need to use IE, you choose to because you are inflexible. There's a difference.

There is no need to use a .mht (web archive) file. It can be a simple single .htm file which Edge will open just fine.

Sorry this didn't help.