Is Cyberlink Bloatware?

Over on this thread we had an exciting discussion about a (supposed) Trojan Alert https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanner-protect_scanning-windows_10/trojandownloaderjsjesdowburl/7f1240f2-9db4-488b-a37d-583c7ef94df9

that a couple of long time Community Members and Contributors determined to be a "False Positive" caused by Cyberlink "Bloatware."

Certain it is that once I had completely removed Cyberlink from my System (I had already uninstalled the program, you understand, but NOW I had to dig for what got left behind in the System Registry) I had no more alerts for that aforesaid Trojan.

But that got me to asking  "What do we mean by 'Bloatware', anyway?"

Because Cyberlink is perfectly GOOD software if you enjoy the convenience of being able to shove a DVD into your computer and watch a movie.

Something the Windows Media Player no longer supports. Not for free, anyway.

Now, in one sense anything can be "bloatware" if you don't happen to want it. And most Computer Manufacturers include a ton of software programs that you are unlikely ever to use.

(So does Microsoft Windows 10 Home, for that matter...only they call them "Apps" and sometimes they can be a real pain to get rid of. You have to go into PowerShell ((ADMIN)) and all that).

On the other hand, there are people who enjoy Groove Music ��

So where does that leave us? "One Human's Bloatware is Another Human's Treasure"?

Apparently. But I am going to suggest that Cyberlink's DVD Suite is still "bloatware" because it takes up entirely too much storage for its function.

The free VLC Media Player will play your DVDs. So will the free iTunes player. (And, like Cyberlink the iTunes Media player will burn DVDs too). 

RealPlayer will play (though not burn for free) DVDs as well. And there are many other such solutions to the scaling back of the functionality of the Windows Media Player. And if you installed all THREE of the aforementioned Media Players they would still take up less space on your hard drive than Cyberlink's Sour Suite.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

It depends on what you are using it for as to whether it's bloatware or not.

Cyberlink PowerDVD is what I use for 3D movies.  It has it's own built-in 3D graphics driver so you don't need to fool with the monitor or TV settings or computer graphics settings to enable 3D. 

It also has good video stretch features.  Just fooling with it here on a public domain movie:  https://youtu.be/rxjDjHPG0bo?t=271

Great sound enhancement also:  https://youtu.be/rxjDjHPG0bo?t=138

But I always use the VLC media player when I don't need to do those things.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 9, 2023 Views 15,754 Applies to: